HybridZ

clunk!

24 oz

I have a 72 240Z and i have a really bad clunk in my rear end and I am not sure what it is. I have replaced the bolts that bolt the driveshaft to the rear diff. and if they are too loose in the whole could make the clunk? I have tightened them as much as I could, could they still not be tight enough?The clunk is really bad when i am driving and i take my foot off the gas, and when i go from forward to reverse theres a clunk and vice versa. Please any help at all will be awesome

Thanks Brad

I have a 72 240Z and i have a really bad clunk in my rear end and I am not sure what it is. I have replaced the bolts that bolt the driveshaft to the rear diff. and if they are too loose in the whole could make the clunk? I have tightened them as much as I could' date=' could they still not be tight enough?The clunk is really bad when i am driving and i take my foot off the gas, and when i go from forward to reverse theres a clunk and vice versa. Please any help at all will be awesome

Thanks Brad[/quote']

Check your driveshafts bolt for safety but I'm thinking more that diff strap is broken.

The rubber mount that holds the front of the differential down is a notorious weak spot on a Z. Get under there with a pry bar and see if you can lift the front of the diff up off the cross piece. 99% of the time this is the problem. If you can fabricate there are better solutions. do a search of diff mounts if you are interested.

Also check the bolts holding the back of the diff to the mustache bar, as well as the bolts (and bushings) holding the mustache bar to the car. They can cause a clunk also. And while you are down there, check all your rear bushings and retorque every nut and bolt you can see. Replace anything that looks worn out.