HybridZ

Engine position question???????

Ok the 240Z I bought the buy had allready put the engine in it, how can I tell if I can get it any lower with the jtr kit or if that is what he used?

You could post a picture of the engine bay and we could tell you.

1) I'm assuming this has a Chevy V8 small block

2) If it has an HEI distributor, as many SBCs do, if it is within 1 inch of the firewall, chances are it is a JTR conversion. With this setup, the hood latch is either removed completely or relocated, which leads to...

3) If the hood latch is all there and the disty is in front of that, you have a more traditional "Scarab" conversion.

Davy

I just put my engine in this weekend with a JTR kit. What keeps me from getting the engine any lower is the harmonic balancer hitting the steering rack. I have a 7 inch balancer so I suppose you could get a 6.6 inch balancer to gain you some extra clearance, but you are only talking about maybe 3/4 an inch. Something else to consider, I have a stock style oil pan and that already hangs about a half inch below the crossmember.

I would guess with a scarab kit with the engine sitting much farther forward, the limiter on lowering the engine would be the oil pan on the front crossmember.