HybridZ

Frame Notch for A/C Clearance

SSflyer

I have a 75Z that's getting an LS1 install. The engine is in place, 1/2" to the passenger side in order to clear steering, exhaust, etc, but even with the A/C bracket milled down by .45" the compressor wants to hit the frame rail. It looks to be about 1/8" interference. It seems there's three options: move the compressor to the high drivers side position, get an aftermarket compressor, or notch the frame rail. (OK, four options, go without A/C.) The compressor sits right over the crossmember mount point. My question is, can the rail be safely notched in about 1/4" at that spot? Would a 1/4" plate reinforcement on the three open sides be enough, would it be better to find a thick wall tube to insert into the frame rail as a bridge, or would it be better to just go a different direction? Any ideas?

I have notched frame rails for turbo installs and such. If you can add material (webs) inside the frame rail you will help things out. Triangulate whatever you can and try not to make a high concentration of reinforcement in one spot or it will crack there (actually right next to it). Try smoothing the notch with 45 instead of 90 degree angles.