HybridZ

Small engine help

jonzer12

I know this is not Z related but I need to tap into some of the knowledge here.

I am restoring a honda odyssey, a fl250 to be exact. It had been modified and butchered over the years but I have it back to bare frame and am fabbing my own cage. I am trying to choose a motor and am having some problems.

It has a old rotax motor in it that is done so I am left with nothing. The stock engine (if I could find one) is costly to repair these days and I have no mounts anyway so why not go with something better. I do have the stock salsbury clutch system so was thinking of using another rotax/snowmachine motor. I am concerned however with overheating. Would an old air cooled motor work, of do I have to go liquid cooled? Summers here in ontairo Canada average 25 celsius. I definetly want to stick with the salsbury clutch system. Anyone have any experience with sled motors in the summer?

Thanks,

Jonesy

I worked on 2Cyl snowmobile motors, I forget the brand, we had them installed in the racers we ran at Malibu Grand Prix all year. They were a pain in the arse because they were 2 stroke, constantly having spark plug problems like the cap coming off or the plug fouling. At one point I had it all straightened out but the manager worked against my inovation and I was out at the track several times a night on the ones he "fixed". I recommend 4 stroke, don't have to mix oil and gas and smell better. They only overheated very seldom on hot days, usually if the sun was beating on them and they were sitting idling. The idiot shop manager used to run them for 20 minutes when he first got them to "brake them in", he ended up breaking a few of them doing that. Jackarse probably didn't even know they didn't have a camshaft. :twak: Total dick too, what a loud mouth prick.

Anywho, you should go for a 4 stroke, air cooled is tricky, but just fine as long as you have a fan blowing past the fins in a controlled manor (there was a composite shroud around the engine and the fan blew straight through and worked well. when the engine was overheating it ran but got sluggish and would sound like someone was trying to push the piston down with a rubber mallot. cool it down for an hour and it was fine again... mostly.

Sorry I can't help more.

I want to use a snowmachine motor because they are cheap here and because they are already designed to use a salsbury clutch as was stock in the odysseys. They were 2 stroke stock as well.

I would love to use a 4 stroke bike engine with a gearbox but the complexity and cost is just not worth it. I am a fan of the salsbury clutch system too, always keeps the engine in its powerband. Great for hill climbing

I found a 377 rotax that is fan cooled and I think I will go with that. Should give me a 40% increase in power over a stock odyssey. Hopefully it can take the heat after some rejetting. Now if only i could find a Z around here!!

Thanks for the post guys.