HybridZ

swap auto tranny for 5spd in 280 turbo

roger.svoboda

I looked at a lot of threads that danced around this but my lack of experience doesn't let me interpret some of what I read. I've got an 81 turbo with auto tranny. Got a 5-speed out of an NA at the junkyard took all the parts I thought I needed. When got to the final drive shaft install I found out that there are two versions of driveline for these cars. There was a thread I found where someone called it the big bolt vs small bolt drive shaft. said they were both R200 but one has 8mm bolts with D head and tother be 10 mm hex. Input flange on the turbo is larger bore than drive shaft I have so bolt pattern wrong. I can get a differential out of an 83 2+2 NA which seems to have the cv joint axles that i have. Anyone know if this would be a direct swap. Sure hate to go back to that automagic tranny.

When you say swap the pinion flanges which is what I have been told before it will not work as the turbo drive shaft inputs to the R200 differential with a flange that has a wider bolt pattern and larger spline than the manual tranny which inputs to a smaller flange and bolts to a R180. Unless what you mean is diassemble the R180 pull the pinion and flange out and the replace the pinion and flange that is presently in the R200 which is mounted in the car at present. Is that possible moving pinion shaft from one diff to the other.