HybridZ

RB25 swap questions

Guest erol

Hi Guy's,

I'm based in the UK and am just looking into swaping a RB25det into my 260z (I know most dont like) 2+2. This is my first thread and I hope it all goes well.

I have a few questions if you dont mind shining a bit of light onto.

1st does anyone know of a way to fit power steering to these cars? I thought maybe the 280z would fit but I've been told it sits the wrong way. I've heard of someone using rover parts, but not sure exactly which ones. Another option I think they have just started using is electric pumps.

2nd can anyone explaine to me or show a pic of what a 200zr/sr is with the rb20det fitted is? I dont believe we had these in the UK. We only had the 300zx's with the v6. I've seen in the fitting section that I need the sump. pickup, rear diff, and a couple of other parts from this car. Can anyone recommend where to buy these from?

3rd does anyone know if there is a kit I could by with the engine and gearbox mounts already to bolt on? As I've not heard of anyone doing this mod in the UK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope you dont mind more questions as the swap takes place.

Many thanks

Erol

Guest JAMIE T

Hello Erol.

The most common power steering conversions have been from '79-'93 Ford Mustang(includes all fox-body Fords, i.e., Thunderbird(up to '88), Fairmont, Monarch, etc...).

Lately, we have seen a few done with Subaru WRX steering racks. Both have been documented well and can be found by searching the chassis/suspension forums on this site.

As for the 200ZR... Well, we never got it here in the US either, so we are forced to get components from importers or Japan. You may actually have an easier time getting the parts than we do, since you all recieve more of the Japanese market cars than we do. Good luck.

Okay, the motor mounts can be used from the 200ZR. I also make a few mounts too, but I'm not here to sell them, well I guess if you want I can always make a few more sets.

DSC05598.jpg

DSC05600.jpg

http://www.livesockets.com/quoc/rb/8_motor_mount/index.htm

As for the oil pan, http://www.nismoparts.com has them. Or you can call them directly and ask for Shea (tell him Q sent you). They are located here in the states but I have had no problem getting the parts.

(888 ) 449-5131 [uS Phone Number]

DSC05521.jpg

http://www.livesockets.com/quoc/rb/7_oil_pan/index.htm

Click the links to see if they help with clearing any questions you have.

Good luck with your setup!

Hi guy's,

thank you very much for your advice and info.

Your right about most of the japmarket being in the Uk, I'm sorry but i'm guilty to that. I have a guy in Japan who sources my cars for me. He also is well known in the tuning scene out there. I'll put it to him to see if he can source these parts for me.

Hi Q, can you tell me how much the parts cost you to buy? also I have read in the sticky thread that with these mounts the engine and box sit a bit forward, as aposed to being snug with the bulk head. Is it a big job to get the engine to sit further back or is there alot of implications?

The mounts you are offering, does that include the nice gearbox mount you made? Finally, how much for the kit and how long would it take to knock up a set?

Great work/site btw.

Hi guy's' date='

thank you very much for your advice and info.

Your right about most of the japmarket being in the Uk, I'm sorry but i'm guilty to that. I have a guy in Japan who sources my cars for me. He also is well known in the tuning scene out there. I'll put it to him to see if he can source these parts for me.

Hi Q, can you tell me how much the parts cost you to buy? also I have read in the sticky thread that with these mounts the engine and box sit a bit forward, as aposed to being snug with the bulk head. Is it a big job to get the engine to sit further back or is there alot of implications?

The mounts you are offering, does that include the nice gearbox mount you made? Finally, how much for the kit and how long would it take to knock up a set?

Great work/site btw.[/quote']

I think your transmission mount in your car is different from mine. I use the early style bolt up mounts, while your car I believe has a transmission mounts with pins that slide through. Also my mounts do not fit snugly with the firewall. Also look into Rick Wong mounts (just search this forum). Look at your options before you decide with mount styles you want. Rick does make a nice set of alluminum monts that uses Toyota Supra insulators. I don't know how close to the firewall these sit so ask the guys on the forum here that do have them to take some pictures for you. My mounts are really basic and just bolt to the stock engine insulator.

Keep your options open and do some research! About the part prices, go to http://www.nismoparts.com and type in the part numbers in the box on the upper right hand corner and it should tell you some prices.

Thank you, i'll try that.

A couple more thing I would like help with. I might have managed to get a GTS-t crash damaged. What parts can I take off this car to use on my conversion?

I was wondering what diff I can use on my 260? Can I use the diff from the gts-t?

And another, can I use the breaks or hubs from this car also?

Sorry for all the questions,

Many thanks all,

Erol

Guest JAMIE T

Anything other the motor and trans is going to require major fabrication. Checkout the chassis and drivetrain forums for more information on those things.

Thank you' date=' i'll try that.

A couple more thing I would like help with. I might have managed to get a GTS-t crash damaged. What parts can I take off this car to use on my conversion?

I was wondering what diff I can use on my 260? Can I use the diff from the gts-t?

And another, can I use the breaks or hubs from this car also?

Sorry for all the questions,

Many thanks all,

Erol[/quote']

Check out the other Diff threads in the RB forum. Most guys are running between 3.9-4.37