HybridZ

Flat-top f54/p90 Turbo what boost are you running?

Thumper

I'm been thinking about turbochargeing a n/a 280zx. I would run the stock flat top pistons, p90 head, t3 turbo, and isuzu intercooler. This will net me 8.7:1 compression ratio. I am looking for 250hp with high compression and not interested in low-compression. I have read that you can run either 13psi or 16psi on similar setups. I was wondering what boost you guys have run on a 8.5:1+ compression engines? Thanks

A friend of mine ran that combo and could boost to 7 psi with the timing locked out at 16 degrees. Made 180 hp at the wheels without an IC. The engine had good throttle responce off and on boost but was always on the edge of detonation (on boost). Plus the 16 degrees of timing plus 10 with the vacuum advance (26 total off boost) made the mpg pretty bad. He later reduced cr to 7.4 and turned up the timing to 26 degrees and the boost to 14 psi and made 260hp.

With racing fuel, I'm sure 14 or 15 psi would be possible with a 8.8:1 Z engine. Or maybe a longer duration cam would make the engine less detonation prone.

If a high cr turbo setup is used then an aftermarket efi system with ignition timing control should be used.