HybridZ

Turbo Manifold Questions

tfreer85

Okay, I've got some questions about turbo manifold designs. I was looking around the web and came across something interesting, the guy was talking about the firing order affecting the turbo spool with the manifold design. http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo4.html

exmandes.jpg

Now according to this if you were to be fabricating a manifold for a twin turbo L6 would there be any benefit of say connecting the pipe from cylinders 6,1,and 3 all to the first turbo, then have 2,4,and 5 all go to the second turbo? Or would the benefit be so little that you're better off for simplicity just to have cylinders 1,2,3 go to turbo 1, then 4,5,6 go to turbo 2? Also would this have any effect on a single turbo setup for an L6? One more quick question what is the benefit of having an equal length manifold? Does it solve the problem i'm talking about?? Thanks for any help.

Tyson

As I understood it you want to get the maximum gap between the pulses in the collector/shared runner areas so that you don't get pressure spikes and reduced flow. Because of this 1,2,3 and then 4,5,6 I believe is preferable as it leaves the largest time for the pulse to make its way through the turbo (given the L6 firing order).

Dave