HybridZ

no start

az240z

My son has a 1982 280zx turbo. When he bought it it had a rough idle but ran ok. Nothing was done to the car as it was a daily driver and he continued using it as such. A few months later it started running rough, with some backfire and no power. Hetook it to a repair shop where they got running but told him he needed a new injection harness. He drove the car until he went thru a deep puddle and it died. Same repair shop got it running but it ran like crap. Same as above. I know have and have done the following:

Replaced the injectors, rebuilt another fi harness with new connectors, new rotor and new dist cap. I have cleaned all the connections and replacrd some of the connectors.

After all was done car started up with no problem. It still had the rough ydle but revved up with no problems. After checking everything including repairing of 2 of the new connectors the thing ran ok. I took it for a test drive, everything was looking good until I came off the freeway. The car died and hasn't started since.

I have spark, I have good fuel flow but it appears as if the injectors aren't firing. There is power to the injectors, in fact both sides of the injector have power when the key is on but they don't appear to be firing. I tried changing the brain but that didn't do any good. So I am stumped.

Where do I go from here.

By the way is the spade on the front of the distributor for a ground?

Thanks in advance

az240z

Im more familiar with NA Wiring, but I imagine it would be similar to turbo (please someone correct me If im wrong).

Make sure that the injectors are not firing. Grab a long screwdriver and put the head up against the injector and your ear to the handle, you should hear it clicking as you turn the engine over (oh unplug your leads and/or your fuel pump). If you cant and you are getting power to the injectors, and the injectors (and ecu) have been replaced, then check the earth switch which should be a single wire from the coil to the ECU. When cranking the engine this should earth in a constant on/off/on/off fashion. Possibly some residual water has turned a connecting surface a wee bit rusty ??

My son has a 1982 280zx turbo. When he bought it it had a rough idle but ran ok. Nothing was done to the car as it was a daily driver and he continued using it as such. A few months later it started running rough' date=' with some backfire and no power. Hetook it to a repair shop where they got running but told him he needed a new injection harness. He drove the car until he went thru a deep puddle and it died. Same repair shop got it running but it ran like crap. Same as above. I know have and have done the following:

Replaced the injectors, rebuilt another fi harness with new connectors, new rotor and new dist cap. I have cleaned all the connections and replacrd some of the connectors.

After all was done car started up with no problem. It still had the rough ydle but revved up with no problems. After checking everything including repairing of 2 of the new connectors the thing ran ok. I took it for a test drive, everything was looking good until I came off the freeway. The car died and hasn't started since.

I have spark, I have good fuel flow but it appears as if the injectors aren't firing. There is power to the injectors, in fact both sides of the injector have power when the key is on but they don't appear to be firing. I tried changing the brain but that didn't do any good. So I am stumped.

Where do I go from here.

By the way is the spade on the front of the distributor for a ground?

Thanks in advance

az240z[/quote']