HybridZ

Rebuild turbo in Bay Area

I just bought a whole t3/t4. I'm sure you could have yours upgraded, but since the bearings, compressor housing, and compressor wheel would all need to be replaced in your case, it might make more sense and cost less to just get a new one also. My best advice if you're shopping for a turbo is to get a real Garrett, not one of the ssautochrome/xspower knockoffs being sold on ebay. I had an xspower breifly before returning it and it was riddled with flaws. The compressor wheel was off center from its shaft, the flange where it mounted to the manifold was sloped, making it impossible to properly tighten a nut onto it, and who knows what other problems i'd have found if i actually installed it and tried to spool it. Also, you might want to know that getting a new turbo may mean a different bolt pattern on the exhaust housing, making it impossible to use a stock integral wastegate or stock downpipe. My exhaust had been custom made to match up to the stock t3 with stock downpipe, so when I upgraded turbos, I got one with the same style t3 exhaust housing. Therefore, I was able to put a stock wg on for correct spacing (I sealed the integral wg port and use an external wg now) and still use the stock '83 downpipe so that no modifications to my exhaust pipe were needed.

I got mine from Z Performance Racing, but they don't sell Garrett's anymore. I basically got the last one they had. Turbonetics upped the number of turbos they have to buy each year to get wholesale prices, so now they sell cheap xspower turbos unfortunately. If you look around online though, I'm sure there are plenty of places that sell real Garrett t3/t4s. As far as your wg and actuator, the actuator mounting bracket and pushrod would have to be modified to work with the larger compressor housing. The wg would onl work if the t3 turbine section of the t3/t4 had the same bolt pattern on its back side as your current t3. Garrett may have changed that pattern on their new turbos, though. I just got an older slightly used t3/t4 and external wg manifold from Z Performance Racing and used the original wg as a spacer so everything matched up right, as I mentioned above. This obviously has its advantages since the external wg sounds awesome and essentially adds an extra inch of exhaust diameter under boost. Another thing to keep in mind is that a stock wg is not very well matched up to the kind of power people typically are making with t3/t4's because of its small port.