HybridZ

Spent the Afternoon with Pete P. and Mike K.

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Mike and Donna hosted a small cookout for Mikes 36th Birthday. Pete came down from MD with his sweet 240z. We drank Mike's beer and ate his food cheers.gif I'm glad to have finally met Pete and see his great car. It was inspiring(I needed some inspiration). It will be at the Sept. 21st Zcar get together at Mikes house in Fredericksburg VA. See ya there.

Yeah, it was cool. Great meeting Jamie and his wife, drinking Mike's beer and his food, and watching Mike slave over the grill. Not bad for an old guy - he did it while standing for like 20 minutes malebitchslap.gif

2thumbs.gif

Jamie and Mike brow beat me about my carb being to big. O.k., O.k., I'll put the 600 vac sec on and give it a try!

Pete,

how are you doing? it`s mark i bought the sidemarker lights from you.what carb are you running? i have a 830cfm db on my basicly stock 400 w/flat tops and it loves it! i put a 600 on to get it running becaulse i thought the 830 would be too much.man was i wrong, it wouldn`t run worth well you know.600`s only work on stock 350 low compression motors and that`s it!!! if your running a holley just set the powervalve to the vacuum and the jets to the airflow.i remember something about a off the line bog? change your squrters and adjust your float level.if you go to a new carb try a 750 dp or better yet a 830 it has the main body of a 850 and throtle blades of a 750 a hybrid if you will :D (sorry couldn`t resist that).oh and by the way REALLY NICE CAR!!!! but you know that already 2thumbs.gif

mark

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, you mentioned a 1850 holley earlier (600 I assume thats what you have on the car till the 750 is sorted?)

Anyway, just a note, when I jetted my holley in this area (and later down in Tempe, it was one jet leaner) holley had jetted the carb down way to much. On my car it wouldn't even show up on my AF meter at cruise. I riched it up three get sizes and finally got some color near sto. so left it there. I had to jet it back one actually in Tempe, it would cruise and you'd feel a ever so light little 'buck' the car would make occasionally, very well, but you could just feel it like you just let of the gas slightly and then back on.

Anyway, one jet back and it was ok, my point through all my meandering, is a off idle stumble could very well be lean primaries. They are the jets for that RPM until the power jets come in later under less vaccum. Just something to think about, I aways thought Holley would jet on the fat side, glad I checked, not so, lean lean lean.

Regards,

Lone

Wow, we really stole this thread from Jamie :D

Mark, thanks for the comps and the advice. The 830 is intriguing. And I agree that the CID*RPM*VE/3456 equation for figuring carb sizing is too conservative.

Anyway, I really want EFI, but that's going to have to wait. I MAY buy a DP carb to put on it in the mean time, but I'll probably hold off and do EFI this Winter. I'm convinced that the way I drive this car (I mainly just cruise on the weekends, and I usually have my foot in it!) I need a DP. I know that Dave Booth, and others have said that the Z really can use a DP, but I'm hard headed and just finally coming around.

I tried the light spring in the 750 sec diaphram, and it worked well (sec's came in quick), and I did the same with the 600 (yep, Lone, the 1850 I mentioned) that I rebuilt this week and put on today - it comes in too soon with that spring and I get a flat spot for a second afterthe secondaries open. But even with that, the car can chirp third gear :D .

Anyway, the idle is much better with the 600, the burning of the eyes is almost gone, and the off idle stumble is gone. Good throttle response.

The 750 vac sec carb is very sick. Fuel just leaks out of the bottom of it. I've been through it several times and can't figure out why it's like that. I may take it to a local carb guru and have him look at it.

Lone, I agree it seems like the 750 is running lean in the transition circuit, but it's SUPER rich at idle. But I think that has to do with it leaking like a sieve!

Anyway guys, thanks for all the help.