HybridZ

3.1 Chevy V6 in a 240Z

Guest TurboZ24

Guest TurboZ24

I currently have a 91' Cavalier Z24 which I built a turbo 3.1 V6 for. It currently generates 310 wheel HP at 7 psi and 425 wheel HP at 16 psi (and that was with a safe, but pretty rough tune and higher rpm spark issues). I can run more boost on it, but there are several problems. 1.... I get around 3 trips too the track per tranny.... 2..... It's FWD.......

So, I'm looking into possible RWD chassis for my motor. I really want too keep the motor, it runs extremely well and I'm still not pushing it (not too mention I put a good deal of work into it...).

MY questions are....

1. What is the stock weight of the 240, 260, 280 z motors?

2. How much power will the stock rear end take?

3. How much if any frame work is required for higher HP engines?

4. has anyone installed a Chevy 60 degree (2.8/3.1/3.4) V6 in a Z before?

I'm asking because I'm considering several chassis, but the 240Z is at the top of my list for "best looking", but on the down side, there seem too be several running around with engine swaps, so trying too get some info too help me decide which chassis will require extensive modifications and which ones will not.

I currently have a 91' Cavalier Z24 which I built a turbo 3.1 V6 for. It currently generates 310 wheel HP at 7 psi and 425 wheel HP at 16 psi (and that was with a safe' date=' but pretty rough tune and higher rpm spark issues). I can run more boost on it, but there are several problems. 1.... I get around 3 trips too the track per tranny.... 2..... It's FWD.......

So, I'm looking into possible RWD chassis for my motor. I really want too keep the motor, it runs extremely well and I'm still not pushing it (not too mention I put a good deal of work into it...).

MY questions are....

1. What is the stock weight of the 240, 260, 280 z motors?

2. How much power will the stock rear end take?

3. How much if any frame work is required for higher HP engines?

4. has anyone installed a Chevy 60 degree (2.8/3.1/3.4) V6 in a Z before?

I'm asking because I'm considering several chassis, but the 240Z is at the top of my list for "best looking", but on the down side, there seem too be several running around with engine swaps, so trying too get some info too help me decide which chassis will require extensive modifications and which ones will not.[/quote']

Everything you need to know is here via the search, but bottom line is yes it can be done and the 240 is the lightest. Approximate times would be about 11.3/4s if you can put down at least 360 RWHP. Simple frame mods are suggested and the R200 LSD will hold up fine with CV axle conversion. I run 10s with 435ish RWHP and 11.9s with 310ish RWHP.

The Z24 would be a cool swap IMO. Go for it and take good notes to share!

Terry