HybridZ

electric fuel pums and carbs, bad idea?

Alf

I believe that an 85 300zx has a fuel pressure of about 45 PSI, so the regulator is responsible for maintaining that pressure. That means that the fuel pump has to be producing more than that. If you have a fuel pump designed to work with a regulated fuel pressure of about 45 PSI and the restrict it down to 7 PSI...i think thats gonna cause problems.

I'm currently using the Aeromotive 1000 electric fuel pump and carb regulator combination on my TT383 Chevy engine. The pump is rated at 45 psi and my regulator has no problem reducing this pressure to the carb down to 6-7 psi while off boost. This system works because any pressure, above what the regulator is adjusted to, will return to the tank via the bypass line.

Hanns

Yes if you are running a pressure regulator that bleeds off the excess fuel back to the tank it will work as Hanns explained which is what you have, and you cannot run a carbtype “Dead Head†type regulator with an EFI pump as the pump requires fuel flow to keep it cool!

Does your exhaust blow black smoke at idle and low revs before it runs OK?

Also check out Power Valve thread at CHevy High Performance.com

Colin:twisted:

i think the problem is my plugwires. i dont think all my cylenders are firing because i happen to leave a wire off when checking plugs and it made a huge difference i could barely drive the car. and some plugs look good and a couple are black.

the plugwires were the culprit. it all dawned on me and made perfect sence, it explains everything, why it smelled like gas even though plugs looked good, why any mod i made to the carb had little or no effect, and why it started hard and idled rough. i checked it out last night and found one plug with a broken insulator(the plugs are 3 weeks old) and at least two wires that are ripped, cracked, or burnt. i temporarilly rerouted the wires and replaced the one plug and the car totally smoothed out. i plan on getting a electronic ignition conversion and a set of new plug wires ASAP. thanks for all your help.