HybridZ

fuel pump sound is gone?

spineless

I recently finished my 81 zxt swap into my 81 N/A. I thought I got everything wired up ok because it fired right up. Last night I noticed that I don't have the fuel pump wurring noise just before the engine cranks. What did I miss. The engine fires right up, but I know I used to hear it before the swap.

I also don't seem to have much power/pull after 3000 rpm or so. Any suggestions on either problem would be great.

It's surprising the engine would start right up if the pump isn't turning on until you actually crank it over. Seems like the fuel pressure would have bled off while it was sitting, at least mine always does. I would put a fuel pressure gauge in the line so I could see if it is actually pumping before cranking it over. That would also let you check fuel pressure under boost to make sure it is rising 1-1 with the boost to see if that is where your power is going over 3k. I suppose you could have had fuel or exhaust restrictions on your NA that wouldn't have been a problem until you installed the turbo. Norm

• 5 weeks later...

I concur with ngrimm on the fuel pressure gauge. As far as the pump not running when the key is first turned to the 'on' position, you might want to rewire it rather than hunt down whatever you may have missed. I referenced my fuel pump relay to the fuse for my fuel gauge. Having done this, my pump is running any time the key is turned to the 'on' position. Once you get the gauge installed, check for pressure drops while under load. I had a major fuel restriction from a clogged secondary filter, and the fuel pressure would totally cut out any time I hit the gas.

Your power issues could also be due to a combination of restrictions. You should consider going to a K and N universal air filter, or at least something that flows better than the stock filter. I don't know what you have on the car now, but of course a straight-through exhaust is a good thing to have. Most members on here prefer 3" exhaust piping, and if you can get that, go for it. Once you get everything flowing well, the car should run all right.