HybridZ

Dire need of quick answers

Guest 260ondubs

Guest 260ondubs

Okay... I have an urgent problem with my Zed. The car is to be sent in tomorrow to be fixed, but before I go in there, I need to be armed with the correct information. I could search, but I need quite specific info, so I am asking everyone who reads this to help if they can.....

My L28ET is not starting. I have taken off the starter motor and the edge of the teeth from the drive/Bendix gear have been chipped away. I have had the starter motor tested and it has come back as being in good shape still (even with the chipped teeth). The guy who checked the starter told me that it will be the ring gear on the flywheel that is my problem. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what specifications my flywheel posesses. I got it from an ex-racecar. It looks to me that the bendix gear isn't coming out far enough to make a good contact with the ring gear, and therefore chipping away at the both of them. Here are my questions:

1. Are there different starter motors of automatic and manual L-series engines? (my car used to be auto and this is only started happening after the swap). If there is, then this problem is all but solved.....

2. What is the diameter for a standard L28 flywheel? (in metric, please)

3. Does the starter motor need to be in place to be able to push start the car (keeping in mind that I am running a Haltech E6X)?

I really need answers in the next 10 hours or so, as the car is due to be push started soon after that. I thank anyone who helps me out.

no, the starter doesn't need to be in place to push start the car, but make sure the positve wires don't ground out and that you still have a good ground from the battery. As far as the flywheel size...they're all the same but I can't give you exact dimensions...maybe someone else can. Also, the starters between autos and manuals are the same, but if I remember correctly, there are different size spacers used between the flywheel/flexplate and the crank and this may be your problem. With the wrong spacing you could very easily experience this problem.

Guest 260ondubs

Yeah, this spacing problem was what had me thinking could be causing all of this. I'm glad to hear that they could be different. I'm quite sure by the look of it that the drive from the starter isn't coming out far enough and just catching the edge and then wearing them down over time. Can I buy this spacer or can I have one made up? Here's hoping that this is my only problem, then al I gotta do is take out of the box and install the new spacer. Also, just so I have this straight; the new spacer would have to be smaller/thinner, wouldn't it? That would allow the drive to come out and get more of the gear's meat onto the ring gear.....

If anyone comes up with the sizes of the flywheel, i'd really appreciate it!

Thank you again.

Did you take the spacer off of the end of the crank when you installed the flywheel instead of the automatic flexplate? It may be stuck on the end of the crank, spacing your flywheel back toward the tranny. Did you install a pilot bearing in the end of the crank when you did the tranny conversion?

There is no spacer installed between the flywheel and crank in manual car.

Just trying to cover a few of the obvious things first.

Guest 260ondubs

I seriously hope that you are right here (which i'm sure you are..) and that this turns out to be my problem... I didn't do the tranny conversion, a shop did. I figure they should have known to do this. If all I have to do is take this damn spacer off, them i'm gonna be a happy man.

But first, I have to get this thing push started (which I am still attempting to do without a starter motor. I'm doing it in 45 minutes, so i'll let you know how it goes later on today.

Guest 260ondubs

Well, my car is going nowhere, one DOES have to have the starter connected (at least, in an EFI car) to push start the thing. It will have to be towed if it is going to the shop today. Expensive freakin' stuff.

Guest 260ondubs

Thank you Doug71zt. You were exactly right. There was a spacer left at the end of the crank and that was one HELL of an expensive fix. My Zed is my daily driver and I didn't have the tools with me to perform the job myself. It needed to be back on the road as quickly as possible. Thanks for pointing out the problem exactly as it stood.

HybridZ serves another good cause.

one DOES have to have the starter connected (at least, in an EFI car) to push start the thing.

Uh... I havent had that experience... Did you put your car in the "on" position to get the fuel pump running? I often used to start by simply letting out the brake and clutch then letting it build a roll down the driveway. One rolling even a little a quick pull out on the clutch will get the engine running. I don't do that anymore because most EFI cars run about a second without fuel to get oil flowing before combustion.

Guest 260ondubs

Oh, I did mange to pushstart the thing with the starter connected days earlier, but i had thought it necessary to have the wires connected up, as the power to the whole vehicle runs from the ignition, which isn't connected if the starter isn't.

Also, turned out I had a flat battery too.