HybridZ

Rear end mested itself up in a good way! READ!

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

I had been noticing every once in a while I would here a knocking in the rear of my car, I thought at first it was exaust or a loose rear end mount but have never been able to figure it out. I also withing the last couple months its been getting great traction even though its an open differential. Last night I was at the drag strip and all of the sudden when I let off the throttle at the end of the quarter(110mph) the rear started knocking so bad I could feel it. We jacked it up there and found out that when one wheel was turned the other turned the same way and it would lock all of the sudden. Got the rear out and looked at it everything was fine but my friend noticed that the pin that goes through the spider gears came out just enough to hit the Pinion Gear(thats the one that goes to the drive shaft right?) we pounded it back in and tack welded it so it won't come out no more the gear wasn't that bad and theres no play. Now its a full locker and its really not that hard to go around a corner or anything, but I don't have drag radials either. The pin slipping out caused the spider gears to sort of lock up. So if you start noticing your 60ft. times dropping considerably with an open diff. you might want to check this cause if it would have came all the way out I probably would have went out of control and flipped. But me and my friend got it fixed and left two twin 15yard black marks when it grabbed second so its working great now.

• 2 weeks later...

The pin broke on me also at 114mph. Luckly the ring gear keeps the pin from going only so far(other wise I would have been in deep doo doo). I had some damage to the pinion gear but nothing I would worry about. I thought about welding it up but the gearing was do deep any way (3:90) so I just changed it out.

Mark

I had that happen to my rear diff also, the pin came out close to a 1/2", but with mine it also damaged the carrier so I ended up scrapping that diff which was to bad because for years I would get equal traction from both tires in a straight line although around a turn it acted like a typical open diff. Be careful because there is the chance that your carrier may have been damaged or weakened and you don't want that thing to handgrenade on you while racing.

Dragonfly