HybridZ

Cheek Panels for Speeder

EvilRufusKay

OK Rick this is what I did. First I used only the top portion of the VR cheeks:

DSCF1044.JPG

Then I cut the Subtle fenders on the vertical line seen below

DSCF1026.JPG

Then I bonded the two together (which tok a lot more work that it sounds like right now) In answer to yourt question. I had fitment issues in three spots, see below

new9.jpg

The yellow is where i cut away the large wing that is supposed to protect the bonnett from rocks getting flung up. i did it more for the look that the fit as I cut it all away. i want to see the coil overs when the bonnett is up.

The red is the ear off the fender which i cut off and will bond to the cowl so that it does not move when the bonnett is lifted. I figured those pieces would probebly flop around at high speed. The cheeck under this portion did not give me much trouble but if it did I could cut it off as it would never be seen.

Finally the green is a triangle section I had to cut out on each side so that the bonnet would close all the way. You probably don't have to worry about this as the YZ will be much wider.

I hope that helps...let me know if you need further info.

Rufus

The vents are another Reaction Research piece. They are from John's Spyder kit.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/zspydergallery.html

I have them installed backward because I hope to use them as a fresh intake sinceI have my cowl closed up. Some have said it won't work because of low pressure...we will see I have hopes it will using the fan as an aid.

Rufus,

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for.

My cheek panels (same as yours) interfere with the YZ front fenders at the green arrows just like in the picture.

I will be leaving the front wing portions on, and extending them to fit the contours of the insides of the fenders - there's a lot of road debris thrown upward without some sort of liner there.

I like the way you did the ears (red arrow) and may copy that.. this was a place that was hard to fit with my previous front, but they didn't flop at speed.

My cheek-to-lower fender panel connection will be like yours also (complete with the same vents), but will require a bit more fiberglass construction to fill in the wedge-shaped void caused by the outward flare of the YZs. There is more glass work required to connect these panels to the car at the panels' bottoms, also.

I thought the rear quarter installation was bad, but the front is way more involved and labor-intensive. Probably should have known better after doing a tilt one piece previously. I'm bitching and whining as i work, but have seen enough good results to keep myself motivated and moving ahead. I really hate glass and body work. I'm slow, but stay at it until everything's right.

I'll take some pictures when I have something to show - right now I'm still measuring and trimming things getting ready to stick the hood, fenders, and air dam together to make the one-piece, and will then get on the cheeks and side panels.