HybridZ

1 glitch, starter not disengaging???

Finally today I started the car for the first time, and first attempt it fired right up, the problem being the starter will not disengage, I have tried shimming, I put a new ignition switch (key assembly) in because the old one was very sloppy. and still the starter is just spinning for all its worth. The motor is a new GM crate, new (flywheel 153 tooth). Geez... there were no leaks no sparks and no surprises. However the starter (9 tooth) came from the bone yard and it fires up just fine it looks to be #6 of the JTR book. Its not a gear reduction but it clears everything and tested out fine. Is there something about the gear reduction that would change this? I have checked all the wiring from the diagram and I seem to be right on track. The car is a 72. Help........I have serached but am still no closer to solving the problem. I want to hear that motor with out the gawd awful noise.....Thanks

Start it and then disconnect the battery ground....see if the starter pinion retracts before the engine stops..that would let you know if the soleniod is energized and holding the pinion against the flywheel.

Otherwise you can remove the starter and try lubricating the gear and the shaft it slides on.