HybridZ

Heater & defroster control

patzky1

Hi guys,

I have a 77 and this winter my heater/defroster has not been working. I have already made sure all of the vacuum lines are in good shape, but only cold air comes out of the "panel vent" holes. This happens in vent, a/c, heat, defrost, etc. (every) position. Also, the heater control valve appears to be working because once up to speed I can feel some warm air coming out of the heat and defrost vents (depending on which is selected), but none while stationary.

What should I be looking at to fix this? It seems like a door is not being switched, but which one? All I have is a Haynes manual and it's next to useless for this matter as its more geared toward 240's.

Patsky

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I feel like a dumb@$$ because I didn't try it earlier, but the mode door actuator was the problem. I just crawled under the dash while changing the heater/defroster controls and noticed the actuator diaphragm not being sucked in, so no defrost or warm heat. All it needed was a nudge the botom of the diaphragm to unstick it and now the system works like a charm.

Pat