HybridZ

Jeep into a ZX??

Guest RaiZed

I have owned more than half a dozen of both vehicles and have (personally, me, myself, I) turbocharged each motor. So what Im saying is I have a very good working knowledge of each motor and what it takes to modify both.

yes the redline on the Jeep is 5k. Do you plan on using the Jeep Auto Tranny? Dont even think of adapting the Datsun Tranny as it would never work because of the redline. Is the Jeep a 4X4 or 2wd? If you own this motor already that is a plus but not much of one. The Jeep motor only makes 195-205 HP and thats at the crank. They feel fast in an XJ because they only weigh 2800 lbs (its a unibody remember)

Trust me for the same ammount of aggrivation there are way better powerplants, why do you think it is that people put Chevy V8 in Jeeps also. It is the cheepest HP per dollar of any motor on the planet.

The easiest HP on the Z is the ZXT manifold the right combo head and block/pistons, a MHG a bigger turbo than stock and the right furl injection. Look for a complete ZXT powerplant/doner put a bigger Turbo on it right away and a big intercooler you wont be dissappointed.

Proving others wrong is the fuel of many a mans ambitions, but I wouldnt do this and I already own all the very coolest Jeep motors and parts there are. those parts will eventually propel this.

I wouldnt do it, the motor is not cheep enough and dosent have as much potential as an L28.111700023pt.jpg

Guest bajacalal
I have a killer line on a 2001 Jeep 4.0 L6 engine and matching 5 speed tranny.36,000 MI out of a Cherokee (was wrecked in the rear) $1000.00 computer and all........

Thought I'd introduce myself first - I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee (4.0, 5 speed) that I've owned for about 5 years. I like it very much and I know a lot about these vehicles. I don't have a Z but I love and have always wanted to own Japanese performance cars esp. ones from the 80s and I-6 motors in general :wink:. Heres some background on the Jeep motor:

Its an AMC design, the AMC (defunct automaker) bolt pattern it uses will not interface with Chrysler transmissions.

In Cherokees, the transmissions are the 4 speed auto AW-4 or 5 speed manual AX-15 both built by Aisin (if youre thinking Toyota youre correct). Later model ones used the NV3500 and earlier ones (pre-89) had an unreliable Peugeot 5 speed. The AW4 trans is also used by some turbo supras so it can handle a lot of abuse and usually lasts a long time behind the 4.0. All of these transmissions were installed on Jeeps with removable bellhousings that fit only AMC pattern motors like the 4.0 and 401 V8.

Its rated around 190 HP stock. Its not a SOHC motor like someone mentioned. Its an old school pushrod motor, the cam is not located over the cylinder heads. In stock form, a low compression ratio is used (compared to whats on imports). A popular mod is to build a stroker which isin't terribly expensive as this is done using a crank and rods scavenged from the earlier AMC 4.2L I-6. Stroking the 4.0 raises the compression ratio and the displacement to at least 4.5L.

Pros:

Its a very rugged little motor.

Cons: - Would require a lot of fab work but the HP gains wouldn't be much.

- Nobody's done this before, there is no aftermarket for this and custom motor mounts will be necessary.

- Its pretty big, tall, and the trans is big. The 4WD trans is missing the tailshaft of the 2WD trans. Driveshafts would need to be made to fit.

- People here might not realize its a hot blooded motor. Running temps of 210 are "normal." Cherokees have cooling issues because the grill area is wide, but not tall enough. Coupling the motor to a smaller radiator in a smaller engine bay is just asking for it. Then, a turbo on top of that...

Don't get me wrong, its a great motor, great torque, easy to work on and I wouldn't swap it for anything...on my Jeep anyways. I just can't imagine it in a Z, especially when you could swap more HP in for far less cursing and beer(wouldn't an RB25det be sweet).