HybridZ

fixed exhaust smell!!

olie05

I have been doing alot of reading lately here on the fumes because my car was just killing me! So I decided to take off the tail lights and take a look around the sheetmetal, since my hatch gasket was ok and I thought this would be a good place to start.

I took of the drivers side tail light and noticed that the gasket was melted all around the top half. I soon discovered that the sheetmetal behind the taillight was bent in (from an accident) and who ever did the work on it only replaced the tail light without fixing the sheetmetal, so the sheetmetal was not in contact with the gasket that was on the tail light. I bent the sheetmetal back to where it should be and bought some 1/2 inch high density foam weatherstrip from lowes. That and a little RTV cured the problem.

That was one problem

The other problem was that when I took my bumper supports off I forgot to fill in the three holes that take the studs from the support to the body. I put some corks with rtv in that.

Another thing I noticed was that my passengers tail light was craked on the inside plastic behind the reflectors. I RTV'd all the cracks as well.

Now, I have no exhaust fumes under 40mph and very minimal exhaust fumes above 40mph (with windows open) I get absolutely nothing with the windows closed.

Hope this helps someone Diagnose their exhaust fume problem in the future!

-Oliver