HybridZ

VH45/VK56 and transmission options

Ford Falcon

Hey viewers,

I'm curious to see if anyone has spent time on finding out what would be the better transmission to use with one of these blocks? If the choice were between a Z31turbo, Z32TT, or Z33 transmision, would be more suitable to get the job done? I'm thinking of using the Z31 transmission for my '88 Z31, but I do like the idea of a 6 speed transmission from the Z33. Any thoughts?

The Z31 turbo tranny from 87 to 89 should be the same as the manual trannies from all of the Z32's. They're the same tranny code and such. Some people say the Z32 trannies are proven to handle 600 hp. I've heard the Z31's handle something like 500 hp... even though they're the same. Not sure if they upgraded some of the internals or what.

Gearing wise, the Z32 tranny is supposed to be a damn good match up with the VH45. It probably depends quite a bit on the rear end but from what I've found by searching around, it should match up with the Q45 diff. and Z32 diff. pretty good. The Z31 diff is just slightly higher than the Z32 diff... by a whopping .308 so the speeds will basically be the same. Depending on your tires, the top speed in 5th gear with a Z31 diff would be in the mid 180's.

You can mess with gear ratios and such here:

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission_300zx_tt.html - for TTZ

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html - Classic Z's

Actually... I'm no where close with mine being finished. Work + winter + non-heated garage + very poorly lit garage = little chance of getting to work on it. Not to mention that I'm fixing my brother's Z31 Turbo so we can sell it (he's only 16 and never really needed a turbo car in the first place so we got him a Honda... lol). Once I get that done I might be able to start on the Z but there's a chance I may do some work on the Toyota Corona to get it running so I can sell it.

Techincally it runs but there was a reason my grandfather stopped driving it an I need to find out what that reason is. I could have swore he said headgasket but I started it up and it didn't seem like it but the oil light was on so I figured there was a chance it was maybe the oil pump. I'll just have to get in there and find out.

On top of that one, I really need to finish my Maxima so that I can drive it around for winter... unless I pick up a beater Subaru wagon that I'm eyeing for 700 bucks or so (downside to that is that'll take money away from the Z project and I don't make enough money...)

Dammit... I can't win. lol