HybridZ

Where does all of the water come from?

Guest TR240z

Recently acquired my first Z and everytime it rains, it takes on a lot of water. The entire rear deck area is dry, but the floor gets really wet. What are the common areas in the front for water to enter? Anything special besides the usual door and windshield seals?

door seals and windshield like you said, and often I believe these cars get rust holes in the firewall. Water that enters through the cowl vent holes, the slots between the windshield and the hood on the cowl, runs down through the holes and leaks inside the car. Leaves and other garbage that enter through the slots lay in the plenum and get wet and cause rust.

Also check to see if the cowel drains are working correctly and not just dumping water inthe floor. Should be a tube about 1.5 inches in diameter that runs down from each side of the cowel and makes a quick 90 degree turn toward the fender. Easy to check with a garden hose.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 305240

Something often missed are 2 areas. #1 being the area where the windshield gasket fits. This is missed because most of us haven't changed a windshield yet. Look at the bottom and you will see factory holes. These were ment for drains. In actuallity, it drains right back into the car. The 2nd place is the body seams. To really see these, you have to take the fenders off. Many times there is a gap between the spot welds on the body seam. Water drains into the cabin. While you are in there, make sure your cowl drains are clean as stated above. A little silicone around the edges of the drain wouldn't hurt either.

mine leaked at the windshield gasket. It came in and ran on the passenger side of the dash board. I noticed a little streak of water at that spot and the hole was at the corner of the windshield where the water would sit. I used clear silicone in a syringe to apply it and problem was solved. Can't hurt to silicone the windshield anyway. At least you will know if that is or isn't the problem. Good luck and stay dry. I bought a can of desicant to leave open in the car to soak up the moisture.

Guest TR240z

Thanks for all of the tips on locations to look. Once it stops pouring rain (and flooding), I am going to take a look at those spots. Right now the roadster and 510 have the garage occupied, so the z is outside slumming it with a tarp!

I did notice water dripping from the squirrel cage box of the heater, confirmed that it is water and not coolant. That has to be coming from the valence, right?

Thanks again, TR

Arizona or the Sahara Desert is a an ideal home for a Z... Saw an eBay bid go for over $500.00 for Z window seals. Must be a common problem. You can go 80 MPH in a Z with the windows down and not have to re-comb your hair after the ride but one afternoon rain can deposit an inch of water in the floor boards. The cars leak water and rust and age rapidly which is about the most accurate scientific explaination available.