HybridZ

What is this Z look-alike car?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

If it wasn't for the Toyota 2KGT, we probably wouldn't be driving our Z's.

Now, everybody has their own opinions, but, I'm sure more than one person has claimed the Z is "an ugly car"

The Z car "ugly"?!?!?! :eek: ...who would say such a thing? twak.gifmalebitchslap.gif

If I remember correctly, I was reading some tidbit of information that said the 2000gt was actually behind the Z. The design for the Z was in motion before anyone knew about the gt. Of course I need to find a source for this, but I think I'm recalling it correctly. I will check though

For those of you unsure about the Z history here is a link to info from zhome.com

http://zhome.com/History/history.html

It meantions how Dr. Goertz and Nissan couldn't agree on the smaller 2.0L engine for the Z, so Goertz and Yamaha took their work to Toyota. So, Goertz did work with Nissan first on what would become the Z, but the 2000GT was produced first in much smaller numbers (that might clear up the fact that the Z was under dev. before the 2000GT, but at that point it was more of an idea than a Z). I think it's correct to give credit to Goertz for the basic design, size, and lines of the Z, and give Nissan credit for making it a car that the American market would love. I'm glad we got a better looking grill, but I would have loved to have a cross flow head, oh well the 7m-gte fits just fine, which is funny because Supra owners trace their roots back to the 2000GT, so it's kinda like I have a more modern 2000GT engine in my Z now. The engine of the MKIV supra, the 2jz and it's brother the 1jz, were influinced greatly by Yamaha. So, as you can see there are a lot of connections to the past, and the Supra and the Z, in my book, are of the same family.

If you look around you'll see many of the Z owners with Supras, and it's no mere coincidence, owners of both are buying into the same fundimental ideas that both cars share. I think the fundimentals were planted by Goertz, and the two great japanese car companies have adapted those ideas to the times at hand, and to the group of buyers they wanted to sell to.

Originally posted by RPMS:

I agree - the 2000 GT is a beautiful car, and the similarity in prifile to the Z, especially on the back half, is stunning. Don't you wish they'd put the Z's filler cap where the 2000 GT's is? That looks awesome.

Hey, I'm kinda glad our filler cap isn't in the same place...otherwise I'd have to remove my spoiler every time I filled up smile.gif