HybridZ

sbc v8z tech ?s

Hey, im new to this site and am the proud owner of a 78 280z 2 seater coupe. recently i found a deal that i couldnt pass up, a 91 350 small block that was pulled at 30k for warranty lifter tap. I picked up the long block for 200 and its now sitting in a friends basement. The challenge that i am running into now is what to go with for a drivetrain, I would love to have a standard but im not sure if it is goingo to be feasible considering my somewhat limited budget. I was wondering what you folks would recomend for a transmission that wont break my wallet as badly as buying say a t56. also as far as the engine is concerned, can anyone help me identify what this motor is as far as the casting numbers and where they are located?

What cam profile do you think would best match the car, and what is the maximum recomended redline rpm for stock sbc rotating assemblies? and what cfm carb should i use?

Also I have a set of heads that i picked up with the motor and i was told that they were high compression heads, I am looking to identify what they are and what they fit, so if there is anyone out there that can tell me where the #'s that identify them are located please pm me.

At this point the project is in the very early stages so if there is anyone out there with anything as far as running gear or engine parts for something like this please feel free to message me.

Mike

78 280z 5 speed "grass killer"

Mike,

You'll find most of your answers here on the sie, but do use the search function. Your questions are good ones and you spent the time to be detailed so I'll try to send you off in the right direction.

1) Buy the JTR book: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

2) Your V8 will work fine with a relatively inexpensive T5 from a Camaro. Make sure that it is a T5 that was in a V8 car, not a V6 car!!! The T5 is much cheaper than the T56 and should work well with a "mild" V8. You can still put down some serious HP and make the T5 live, just don't use slicks when you drag race.

3) mortec.com should be able to identify the SBC for you.

We need more detail about the motor--is it a long block, short block only, complete engine, what?

Davy