HybridZ

engold style plenuim (homemade) Z31

84z31

has anyone made there own engold style manifolds.

i heard he's not doing them anymore. i was thinking all i would need to do is get another upper plenuim, i know where i can get one. take a cutting wheel on my grinder and remove the top. then use a dremal tool to clean out the insides. i have a friend who has a tig welder (he's a professional welder) who could weld the top back on. and weld some block off plates on the emmisions stuff i removed.

the intake upgrade i did yesterday was good. but i really want to fix the next bottle neck. i don't want to do the pathy manifold. i want it took look stock and fit under the hood without cutting the hell out of the underside of the hood. it already flops around enough at highway speeds.

has anyone tried this.

thanks

Guest Jason84NA-T

I made my own. It's going to take forever to gut the thing unless you have a die grinder with some very large carbide bits or a vertical lathe, or a milling machine. I gutted mine on a CNC mill and it turned out nice. One big thing you didn't mention is getting a radius around the ports after it is gutted; this is absolutely critical is you want to make good power. Shaping the radius on the ports took me about 2 hours with a few good rotary bits and a small angle grinder. There are also special machine bits to do this, I just did not have access to one.

Welding the top plate on is really the EASIEST part of making the plenum. If you don't spend the time to smooth out the insides, port the TB area of the elbow and radius the ports into the lower intake, it's not worth it to make one.

Engine bay:

http://www.redz31.com/images/coilovers/cusco.jpg

i'm going to get a good dremal tool. i'm not to worried about how much time it will take. i bought a spare plenuim today. the next set is running it through the dishwasher to clean it up a little. it'll be nice and clean and very smooth.