HybridZ

opinion on spacers and adapters?

here's a testimonial.

I was replacing brakes on a customer's car. he had the type of spacers that bolts onto the hub, and the wheel bolts up to the spacer. when i took the wheel off the spacer, to my astonishment, 2 out of the 4 lug nuts holding the spacer to the hub FELL OFF!!!

I don't think that these wheel are necessarily a piece of crap, but just like any wheel, it's a good idea to retorque the lug nuts. it's just that it's easy to retorque the wheels that are on the car, but it's a little more annoying when you have to take off the wheel, retorque the spacers, then put the wheel back on and then reattach the wheels.

no harm came to this customer, but he never tracks his car either. i can only imagine if tha car actually had power and/or was taken to the track w/ lug nuts that keep comming off.

btw, these wheels/spacer combination was manufacturered by volk racing, a company i expect good products from. imagine how an ebay special one would perform.

Kenny,

I don't see how that is a design flaw, your example was the owner not properly maintaining his vehicle. On a side note about that, for those using adaptors, use Locktite on the lug nuts, then torque them down. I would still check them, but using Locktite gives a little peace of mind.

I have adaptors on my Z to run Honda wheels and never had a problem with them. Hell, I have 2 inch thick adaptors on my '02 Chevy S-10 Crew Cab to push the track out to fill the factory flares and to match the track width of the front wheels. I have had them on for at least 20,000 miles now and have had ZERO problems with them in a 4,000 pound truck that every now and then pulls a 1,800 trailer with a vehicle on it. I also take it off roading every once in a while too.

As long as you buy the adaptors from a reputable company, you should not have any problems.