HybridZ

im at whits end over here

materchan

this problem must have resulted from upgrading my injectors from stock turbo ones to mercedes 380cc injectors. also at the time i upgraded to a walbro 255 pump originaly i got the car running after tuning and everything was on the up and up. a few days after that i wanted to tune a little more and take the boost up to 15 psi. the engine felt GREAT after that and i went to bed happy.

the next day i had to work at a guys house so i go there and when i leave i try to start the car and it sputerd ran real rough then died. i kept trying to get it to start till the battery ran low. about an hour later i got a jump start and it started with little problem and i drove it home. then the next day i go drive it and about half way into the drive it starts running rough, like its on 3 or 4 cylinders. i park the car and try to work on it to see if theres a problem with wiring or somthing like that but all looks good. i end up having to tow the car back home.

then the car wouldnt even start, every so often it would sputter.i then thought that it might be cloged injectors(i hooked up the injectors before putting them in the car and their spary patterns looked good) so i swapped them out for the old turbo injectors and loaded up Mobyes setup values and still it wouldnt start. i have sofar taken out the relay board and the ecu and checked and cleaned them and both looked good. the ecu also tested out with the simulator. before i was getting intermitted spark, but now i think i have spark, i can hear all injectors firing when i crank it.

i have no idea what to do now the only two things i can think of is the coil or hei unit being bad. one think i did which was probably bad was left the ignition key on and that made the coil boiling hot, but i still think i have spark.

tell me what to do here sorry for the long post.

this problem must have resulted from upgrading my injectors from stock turbo ones to mercedes 380cc injectors. also at the time i upgraded to a walbro 255 pump originaly i got the car running after tuning and everything was on the up and up. a few days after that i wanted to tune a little more and take the boost up to 15 psi. the engine felt GREAT after that and i went to bed happy.

the next day i had to work at a guys house so i go there and when i leave i try to start the car and it sputerd ran real rough then died. i kept trying to get it to start till the battery ran low. about an hour later i got a jump start and it started with little problem and i drove it home. then the next day i go drive it and about half way into the drive it starts running rough' date=' like its on 3 or 4 cylinders. i park the car and try to work on it to see if theres a problem with wiring or somthing like that but all looks good. i end up having to tow the car back home.

then the car wouldnt even start, every so often it would sputter.i then thought that it might be cloged injectors(i hooked up the injectors before putting them in the car and their spary patterns looked good) so i swapped them out for the old turbo injectors and loaded up Mobyes setup values and still it wouldnt start. i have sofar taken out the relay board and the ecu and checked and cleaned them and both looked good. the ecu also tested out with the simulator. before i was getting intermitted spark, but now i think i have spark, i can hear all injectors firing when i crank it.

i have no idea what to do now the only two things i can think of is the coil or hei unit being bad. one think i did which was probably bad was left the ignition key on and that made the coil boiling hot, but i still think i have spark.

tell me what to do here sorry for the long post.[/quote']

Sounds an awful lot like flooding/fouled plugs - you are probably too rich at startup. This is VERY common on new EFI setups. If the plugs misfire wet just once or twice, they get fouled and they just plain won't fire. Try a fresh set of plugs and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you need to dial back your cold start enrichments, or the problem will come back very quickly.

btw, the plugs are salvageable, if you have a propane torch and a bit of patience.

What has happend when you foul a plug is that the ceramic insulator around the center electrode has gotten a coating of conductive material (carbon), so your ignition coil's energy can just jump across that (much easier) instead of jumping the spark gap.

You can take a propane torch and burn the carbon coating off of the center insulator (the one 'inside' the plug, not the insulator that the plug boot goes on), but it takes a while, and you have to keep the insulator red hot until it looks white all the way around the center electrode again.

the plugs did look dirty rich not a good tan color. well im off to autozone.

i've got a pretty standard setup.

stock block/turbo/dizzy/head/injectors.

jsk fuel rail with pressure guage. stock turbo fpr

running msns

3"dp

60mmtb

z31 turbo coil

mk3 ic

stock turbo valve cover