HybridZ

Idling like crap...Can anyone help?

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

I recently bought my new AE, when I first went to pick up the car. It idled like crap whenever it was cold started. However, after it warmed up all the way, it would still idle somewhat eradically but it wouldn't die, it would jump around 800-1000 rpms. Now, a week later, whenever I start the car unless I give it gas it'll die. Even when it's warmed up all the way, it'll idle at around 500-600 rpms ONLY if I depress the acceleration pedal very slowly. If I just rev up the engine and then release the accelerator pedal then it'll just die regardless of how warm or cold the engine is. I checked my lines and nothing is leaking...I even let it run with the crappy idle in an attempt to here any sounds and didn't find anything leaking from the lines.

I had to drive it today and when I was coming back home, I heard this pop pop noise and then blue smoke starting shooting out the tailpipe, then it popped again (I think) then the smoke went away. I also noticed that I lost a significant amount of power (When I first drove the car back home, the turbo spooled up nicely and the engine still had good power). I can hear the turbo spooling but it's not as responsive as when I first drove it a week ago. I'm going to test the Air regulator to see if it opens and shuts the way it's supposed to. This is so aggrevating...I've been looking through both the Haynes and the Service Manual for about 2 hours trying to come up with an idea as to why it's acting this way. The rotor and cap haven't been replaced in over 3 years and I hear that the caps and rotors from autozone (where the previous owner purchased them) are crappy. So I'm going to order some from the dealership along with a crank angle sensor with hopes of fixing the problem. If anyone has any ideas or has had this problem before, please fill me in on the solution!!

Also, I'm not familiar with the way the AE's Vacuum tank is supposed to sound...But mine is louder than hell, sounds like one of those fish tank filters.

Sorry for the long post...Hope someone can help!

I wouldn't bother with the crank angle sensor. They're located in the distributor itself and I've never heard of anyone having problems with those. Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are always good to keep fresh.

Make sure to check for vacuum leaks. That can cause some issues like what you're speaking of.

Blue smoke means oil is burning. If the turbo isn't spooling right there's a good chance it is bad and is leaking some oil into the intake and/or exhaust.

Does it have an aftermarket boost gauge? If so, it should tell you where your vacuum is at. Should be around 20 inHg. If not, I believe they sell vacuum testing gauges at most auto parts stores. Autozone might even have some that they will loan out essentially for free. You basically purchase it, then if you want to bring it back you'll get all of your money back.

If you happen to smoke, pickup a cigar, take a puff, then blow the smoke into a hose going into the intake manifold. If there's a vacuum leak you'll see where its leaking right away. I found this method to work out very well. :lol:

Guest Pegasus76

LOL, that's a really good idea...Unfortunately I don't smoke so I'm gonna have to deal with the boost tester and probably just changing out my hoses anyway. Or maybe I can burn some grass and just puff it up there lol