HybridZ

cast iron heads

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I found a set of 202/160 chevy heads with a mild amount of port work and comp roller rockers with heavy springs & guide plates,& stainless valves. He wants 400.00 plus my newly rebuilt stock heads. Is this a good price, should I go for them ? Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

TAKMAN, WHATS YOU BUDGET? YOU COULD GET

A NICE PAIR OF DART IRON EAGLES WITH 2.05/1.60 THAT FLOW REALLY WELL FOR AROUND 900.00.... I HAVE DARTII WITH 2.05/1.60

215CC INTAKE RUNNERS WITH A BIG CAM THEY

ARE AWESOME!

Guest Anonymous

Or...a set of trickflow twisted wedge alum. heads with 2.02/160, screw in studs, 200cc runners, 64cc chambers, guideplates and also order a set of titanium locks and retainers like I have for about 985.00

Guest Anonymous

well , my budget.... I had planned on useing some 202 chevy heads i had laying around, but I took them to have a 3 angle valve job done and found out they are trashed, sooooo anything I spend on heads is more than I budgeted, ha ha ha. That is why I was lookin at the 400.00 deal. but i was thinking about using a 350 th tranny for now and that would free up a little cash for heads. How bad is the 350 at 70 mph and 100mph?

that tranny depends on you rear end gearing.

I had a 700r4 and the final drive gear was awesome, 80 mph @ 2300 rpm. the th350

should be around 2800 rpm at the same speed.

I may not be exact on that i am going from memory when driving my car. I have the 3.54

diff. gear. I am going back to a th350 because of the problems and cost involved with getting the 700r4 working properly.

If you are just going to drive the car around town to race people i think the th350

is fine. If you need a daily driver and plan

on driving any long miles get a 700r4.

check all the post on the "buy sell trade"

on this site. I now that i saw a pair of tricked out aluminum heads in one of the post for 700.00 I think superdan knows the guy.....

Guest Anonymous

$400....hmmmm..not too bad...but more than I would pay unless they have a new valve job. Have you looked at the chevy vortec heads....these things flow great and are considered the best oem head produced by chevy. They will even out flow the corvette alum. head for the L98 engine (TPI). You can get a set from www.paceparts.com for about $400 bran-new as long as you are not going to run a TPI intake on it. Let me know what you decided..I know a few tricks with the vortec heads if you go that route.

Darth Vader

sounds like an ok deal, roller rockers start

around 160 and go up. you may want to check on those heads Darth was talking about.

also if you do go with them make sure you get them magnafluxed to check for cracks.

Guest Anonymous

I checked out the vortec heads on the site you posted, they are 484.00 now , it appears they have 194/150 valves. do they flow as good as 202 valves? and the cast iron I found have a fresh 3 way valvejob. i am cornfused ?

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

takman57 - Just an opinion, and I know you are trying to keep the bucks down, but if you can swing it go for a good set of aluminum heads. The closer you keep the engine to the original L6 weight the better the car is going to handle.

Also, watch the combustion chamber size (cc's) so you don't screw up the compression ratio.

Guest Anonymous

A couple of places that I have found that sell new GM heads are: www.paceparts.com

LT1 vortec heads new complete 418. pr.

or try www.scoggindickey.com for vortec L31 heads complete for 399.50, or 350 HO aluminum complete for 799. pr.

Both addresses are GM Performance Parts dealers and sell all the GM hipo parts like crate engines etc....

or Summit sells Trickflow 202/160 aluminum heads complete starting at 850. Maybe this info helps somebody. Later, jer