HybridZ

Turbo ECU ?

Turbo280Z

I ran the original auto ECU on my 81 zxt for a while after converting the tranny to a 5 speed. I then replaced it with a manual ECU from 82 zxt. The only difference I noticed was that the revs fell off faster between shifts with the auto manual ECU compared to the manual ECU. I found myself blipping the throttle with the auto ECU to keep the revs up between shifts.

You also have to be careful of the model year of the ECU. Because the 81 zxt had external dropping ballast resistors, while 82 and 83 had them built into the ECU, the 81 ECU should only be used on 82's and 83's in conjunction with the external resistors from an 81 harness.

well i ordered the manual one yesterday should be here tomorrow. with the auto ecu it ran really rich and was shootin flames out. and it would one run at certain rpms like it wouldnt idle very good and its hard to start. would the vacuum crap on the manifold matter? its all blocked off except for the things needed like for the brakes fpr and what not.the cap, rotor, wires is all new and when i pull the plugs out there wet. the motor was just rebuilt i dont think there would be a problem with the assembly lube or anything would there? i made sure the timing chain and dist. were set perfect. i checked and double checked and triple checked.

the only things that arnt hooked up are the head temp sens and the sens in the thermostat housing. would that make it run too rich? and the little resistor looking thing by the coil ignitor that goes to the little clip on the dist.

thanks for your help guys