HybridZ

Anyone ever break an alternator fan before???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did tonight. The pieces cut a nice slot in my frame rail and cut my upper radiator hose, slashed the cold air ducting and I don't know what else until I can look at the car during daylight.

Check this out: Cut Frame Rail

Happened around 3K rpms pulling on the freeway.

Well at least I have something to do this weekend besides shopping...

Jon

Guest MistressMotorsports

I had an alternator come apart on my Vette during a race a couple of years ago. Part of the blade/pulley went through the hood of the car so fast you couldn't even see it. I only saw a small piece of fiberglass flapping in the hood. Lost the serpentine belt, obviously, which also ran the power steering and the alternator. Fortunately, LT1's have internally driven water pumps, so I just kept racing. Turned off everything electronic except the computer, fuel pumps, and ignition to save the battery for the remaining 15 minutes and won the race. When I came in an opened the hood, the alternator housing was in pieces. Collateral damage was limited to the belt, the hood, and a drive pulley for the power steering. Pretty lucky, I guess.

Mike

My daily driver is a fullsize chevy extanded cab (highly modified drivetrain). One night on the interstate a dodge rolleyesg.gif yes a dodge thought he could pull up next to me and gun it. Well I layed into it and left him, at 140mph I let off and resumed my cruise control functions. Not but a minute later I heard a small explosion under the hood and what sounded like rocks being tossed up under there. Instantly my amp gauge dropped from 14 1/2 to 6 so I turned off the radio, a/c, and fog lights. I pulled off on the next exit and poped the hood to find little ball bearings everywhere, and the main shaft that goes through the middle of the alternator would wobble in any direction (imagine like a pencil in an empty mayonaise jar). I did what any red blooded american chevy owner would do and closed the hood and drove the half hour drive home. I woke up the next morning and went to Oreilleys and swapped it out and changed it in the parkinglot (gotta love their lifetime warranty). I've since never heard of this happening to anyone, but that's just my luck lol. rockon.gif

Never broke one..nope but I did have one severerly

warp on me after a couple of 7000 plus rpm runs on my 355 sbc. Will not do that again, got to limit it to 6300 damnit.

Mike