HybridZ

L28ET CAS disk = Z31 CAS disk ???

I went to j/y today and removed a CAS disk from a N/A Z31. As I presented it to the checkout desk, the guy in charge asked what the disk is. I answered it's a dizzy disk. He then said I can't take apart a distributor like that, and I have to buy the whole dizzy (50$CDN) to get the disk. I had to make a choice since I am about to spend 50$ for a disk that looks very much like the disk in my L28ET dizzy (except the Z31 disk has a large slot among 5 smaller ones while the L28et disk has six slots of the same size).

I chose to not buy it and come home to check with the knowledgeable people first. What confuses me is that I read somewhere in the search function that a Z31 CAS sends 12 signals per revolution and the L28ET CAS sends 3. If they both have 6 slots in one circle, how is that possible? From what I see, the only difference between the two is the one wider slot on Z31 CAS. I can't help but to wonder if it is possible to modify the L28ET CAS disk to work like the Z31 CAS disk? If I mask the disk carefully with tape I can probably etch out a large slot with nitric acid which I have.

Thanks

Thats the only difference, the larger slit...the sensor is the same. Try out the acid trick it should work if done correctly. I thought about cutting it out, but the metal is so thin and the hole is very small...might be able to punch it out on a solid surface to minimize distortion.

good luck

i thought the Z31 turbo disk is the one thats needed.. not the n/a.

or is it the same?

im not getting 12 volts out of my white wire on my 280zx dizzy with Z31 turbo disk... im also not getting any spark out of my microtech so im all messed up :(

mike

I think they both have the same disk with the same sensor...my 280zx NA had the same sensor but the wrong disk...not sure about the Z31 NA I got a Z31 turbo disk and am using it on my NA 280zx dizzy with original sensor. As long as there is a wider slot for TDC the ECU will know it is number one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

im not getting 12 volts out of my white wire on my 280zx dizzy with Z31 turbo disk... im also not getting any spark out of my microtech so im all messed up :(

mike I thought the voltage to the Dizzy from the Microtech was around 5 volts...not sure if you will get 12 out of the white wire. Are you sure the LT8 is configure properly? I can check mine when I get a chance...keep plugin away at it hopefully it is something simple.

i dunno.. i gotta figure out how to check the error codes.. its flashing the red light.

i dunno how to check that. says screen 33.. but i dunno what to do just yet.. any ideas?

mike

i thought the Z31 turbo disk is the one thats needed.. not the n/a. or is it the same?

In afshin's 300zx ECU/MAF swap guide sticky, he said this in page two :

"The chopper wheel on the left is from the 280ZXT, the one on the right is from any Z31, or similar year maxima. The holes should look like this when being dropped into the distributor. If you flip it over, then it will give the wrong reference point and run poorly."

The "...on the left...on the right..." was referring to pictures. The pics are long gone now. But I think what he said implies that all Z31(including Z31T?) and some Maxima have the same CAS disk. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone verify this? It has something to do with the angle offset between the flat side of the hole at the center of wheel and the six slots :

Imagine a perpendicular bisecting line is drawn on the flat side of the hole which is at the center of the wheel, the bisecting line forms an angle with the closest slot. The question is, do Z31 wheel and 280ZXT wheel form the same angle? I believe the offset angle has something to do with sending the signal in advance so the ECU can time the spark by choosing a certain amount of delay.

Well the 280zxt wheel I thought didn't have the larger hole for TDC...if you could find someone with a Z31 CAS then you could get the exact measurements...but you are right you do want the proper measurements if you are planning on cutting a custom hole. Maybe next time you are at the junkyard you could take a rubbing of the Z31 disk if you are going that route...or just buy it for $50