HybridZ

6speed tranny on L28

dj paul

Hey guys, ive looked in some threads about this stuff back in 2001 or something. There was talk of adapting supra 6 speeds to l series motors. also there was talk of t56's i doubt this would be a direct swap. i can probobly get the bellhousing modded to fit on the motor, but does anyone know what the output spline is like? i really dont want to make a custom driveshaft. but im guessing it would be bigger so it could handle more torque. main reason for this swap would be gas mileage, newer tranny technology, and the ability to play around with five gears while keeping a 6th in reserve. (car is eventually going to be around 500rwhp) any new news that i havent seen yet?

If you are going to be doing that spending $100 on a tailshaft is the least of your worries.

I'd be more worried about the input shaft spline and the custom clutch/flywheel that it could require.

I have thought about doing the T-56 onto L28 too. My plan was to use the 240Z two piece bell front bit and cut the plate off and get a new one with the flange for the T-56 to bolt to welded on. Let us know how you go,

Dave

I think that the T5 and T56 use the same case bolt pattern, so a Nissan T5 housing would bolt up to a T56. I never got much beyond that though, so I don't know about input shaft size, length and splines. I agree though, if you are worried about paying for the custom driveshaft, you probably don't want to get involved with the possibilites of input shaft or crank modification and custom clutches.

Would be quite cool though....

Jason

Well, from those pictures, it's pretty obvious that at least his bellhousing did NOT bolt up without modifications. I had done some research several years ago and THOUGHT that the case bolt pattern on the T5 used in the 280ZX turbo and that of the T56 was very close, like all lined up except for one added to the T56. I never actually tried it though, the trannys were still like $2500 used at the time and I couldn't afford it.

Jason