HybridZ

painless wiring and GM alternators

Guest ash00

Hey gang,

Almost done with my swap to the painless system- and have ben slowly debugging this whole deal. Now its the charging system...

I have a GM alternator in there right now, but it doesn't match the pinouts as the ones used in the painless manual- or anything at that- some funky four wire pigtail outpout.

Question is- anybody have a part number for the right GM alternator with the single Batt connection, a ground connection, and the port for two leads that is internally regulated and 90+ amps? I did a search, but all the websites have info on how to install and no p/n (that I can tell, and the others were blocked from my work)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the delco part number and website reference- that really helped out, and I'm going after work to take a peek at a unit.

Now that grounding wire-- there's a 7-8mm bolt out put to the rear of the alternator casing which is supposed to be connected to ground. Whats a suitable gauge wire for an alternator ground for this 94 amp deal?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the delco part number and website reference- that really helped out' date=' and I'm going after work to take a peek at a unit.

Now that grounding wire-- there's a 7-8mm bolt out put to the rear of the alternator casing which is supposed to be connected to ground. Whats a suitable gauge wire for an alternator ground for this 94 amp deal?

Thanks again![/quote']

depends on how much power drain you have

im runnin a full system, and two fuel systems, and have an 8 gauge ground on a 1 wire alt.

so far it pulls 14 volts at 1200 rpms, with system goin.

with lights and system, it pulls about 13.4.

at idle is a different story

• 3 weeks later...
Guest afelipe

Got a gm alternator myself.

any way you can send pics when you are all done and got it working? I'm still working on getting mine wired up. Also how is that wire kit working out? Does it wire to the lights/dash/all electrical ok? good luck.