HybridZ

71 vs 73 manual pedals

theBrit

I am converting a 73 Automatic to manual transmission as the car has a fantastic condition body. I thought I had everything I needed as I already have a 71 manual pedal assembly etc.

Almost everything else is done, and it was a bolt in change excepting the custom brackets for the t56, but.... (there is always a but with these simple projects)

Turns out there are quite a few differences if you plan to do this.

1. The bolt pattern for the brake booster is different.

2. The clutch slave cylinder is further left.

3. Clutch pedal is a defferent shape.

4. Brake pedal is a different shape.

I'm left needing a minimum of a 73 manual brake and clutch pedal. If anyone has them I would be interested. I will let you all know if that is the only glitch in doing the swap.

It might be worth it for hybrid folk in general, as the automatics are cheeper and I suspect get abused less plus you are going to be ditching the transmission anyway.

By the way, if anyone needs a superb complete original 73 240 engine and all the other goddies from radator to diff and everything else in between I have the parts.

Mike

I have added some pictures at http://www.holmesfamily.ws/pedals/index.html

The narrow pedal box is from the 71, the larger box is from the 73.

On the 73 box you can see the larger brake pedal and my trial fit of the clutch pedal from the 71. The clutch pedal bolts in but the linkage for the master cylinder does not line up and the pedal return stop only just catches the edge of the pedal.

?????

When I converted my 73 automatic to SD, I used pedals from a 71 and everything worked perfectly. There must be some variations along the line somewhere. My 73 didn't have the pedal stop on the floor was one.

jt

?????

When I converted my 73 automatic to SD' date=' I used pedals from a 71 and everything worked perfectly. There must be some variations along the line somewhere. My 73 didn't have the pedal stop on the floor was one.

jt[/quote']

I guess they changed at some point in the year, when I laid them side by side (see pics) I could see they were different boxes, but I expected the pedals to work - but the wider spacing to the clutch pedal puts the arm that pushed the clutch master cylinder at a bad angle on mine :-( it could be made to work.

Also the holes in the 71 pedal box and the fire wall on the 73 car dont match for the brake booster, the 73 has a wider bolt spacing on mine.

My 73 shell is also missing the floor pedal stop, but I will fabricate a pedal stop if needs be, I guess I should try to get the mesurements for a stock one to make it easier.