HybridZ

The look on his face

Phantom

I was coming home this evening when a guy in a very nicely done Suzuki Esteem started toying with me. Car was super clean, blacked out wheels,a functional, not weird or hokey wing on the back and some obvious exhaust work. No fart can on back but very sweet sound that really picked up when he got on it.

We finally pulled up to a light side-by-side and he asked me what I had in my 83ZX. Told him "stock 2.8". He nodded, pursed his mouth a bit, and then nailed it when the light changed. I came off the mark easy in first as I wasn't sure he was really going to go for it and then when he did I nailed it. Got a good solid squawk grabbing second around 5500 and then caught him just before the 2nd to 3rd shift. After that he was all mine. A ways down the road he caught up to me and, when traffic slowed us down, he called out "You got a turbo?". You should have seen his face when I told him "nope". One very humble dude with a new respect for old Z cars. Didn't have the heart to tell him I've got over 200,000 on the car.

DANG!!! I just looked up the Susuki Esteem on Edmunds and got quite a shock. That little guy only runs a 1.8 Liter engine at 122 HP but it weighs less than 2,300 lbs. He had a 550 lb weight advantage on me! I needed to be running 151 HP at the flywheel to have the same power-to- weight ratio. With only 117 ft-lbs of torque I obviously had him there but that little competition was no where as close as it should have been, especially since I let him get the jump on me.