HybridZ

L28ET Engine Stamping. Please Help!!

I TruVu I

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at buying a local '81 280ZX Turbo from someone. It was in a rear end collision. I'm planning on yanking out the motor and differential (if it's still good). My question is whether or not the block should have the ET stamped after the L28 for a 280ZXT. The guy sent me photos and it doesn't show the ET. I really want the best L series block I can get so I can drive it around for a while. Please help me out. The head is a P90 and the cam cover says turbo, and he's pretty sure that it's the original block. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The VIN number should be stamped on the block somewhere and from that you can translate whether or not it is a turbo block.

I'm sure you can some thing on here on VIN translation if you search for it on this forum.

But if I may ask why a 81 turbo engine? The 81 turbo was IMO the nissan turbo experiment engine. It was a just a lowered compression NA engine with a turbo slapped on to it and the dizzy modified from a NA version and the ecu mapped a little differently. The 82-(83,84?) ones had the ecu timed spark with the crank angle sensor.

If its a time issue then it understandable, and can be easily modified to work like the 82-up model with a few parts. Just be sure to have do a compression test first.

Oh and whether or not that engine block is "the best" (f54) is arguable some say the n47 is better for turbo, others say the n42. Its all on the condition of the block.

Sorry for the long post, I was just bored.

I have a later L28ET with P90 head and CAS in the dizzy. My block says L28 and then seven digits, no "ET". I don't think "ET" was ever stamped on the engine block.

Isn't it because nissan used the same block for both NA and turbo motors (f54 block)? Just changed the crank, c/r, pistons for internals?