HybridZ

New or possibly recycled idea about bumpers?

ToplessZ

Can anyone think of any serious problems that could result from welding the front bumper to the z and forgoing the stock brackets (may retain them for safety rather then looks. This would be a good possibility for the 240 onto a 280 bumper swap. I was thinking about doing this in order to gain a seamless look in the front by making the bumper flush with the fender and headlight bucket then welding. I've seen this done on non z applications and I have always wondered what it might look like. Will have to leave seam under the bumper as you cannot weld to fiberglass obviously. I think this would be a great way to have the modern airdam look while still retaining the protection of the bumper... comments suggestions...has this been done before?

Th weight of the bumper on the sheet metal will cause it to strectch and distort a little over time. Plus removeing the body panels afterwards would be a pain. Now if you modified it into a 3 piece bumper an made mounting brackets for the middle piece, that would work, but that would defeat the purpose of not having brackets

If you are trying to achive a seemless mating of the headlight buckets and the bumper and you want your bumper painted than you are going about it in the most difficult way by attempting to weld them together. You will get distortion of the bucket trying to weld it to the much thicker bumper. You will have lots of little nooks and cranies for rust to start growing.

The easy, rust free way is to buy a fiberglass bumper and get a set of fiberglass buckets and glue and fill.

You wont get any protection from a metal bumper, but frankly, the 240 bumper does not offer much anyway.