HybridZ

DuraCoat firearms finish

Z-TARD

Guest TeamNissan

It IS a good alternative, so is por, rustolium etc.. BUT if you clear over it whats the point? The clear will chip/flake,crack eventualy and it will still need repair.

Mike, what ever happened to this project?

I ended up moving about a month or two after I painted that test area. That pretty much derailed the Z project for a while. Since then I've just been distracted by lots of other projects and life in general. I'd like to start up on it again, but I'm going to be deployed to Kuwait in another couple of months so I've been pretty busy getting ready for that. Hopefully after 6 months away from it I'll have a bit more motivation to get it running, painted, and back on the road. I've flip-flopped a few times now between DuraCoat and Rustoleum. I'm really impressed with some of the results members here have had with rolling on rustoleum like Big Phil and OTM. On the other hand, the DuraCoat finish on my longslide .45 has only just begun to wear thin on the internal rail surfaces. The exterior shows no signs of wear at all other than the backside of the grip being slightly shiny from getting polished by my palm during recoil. I'm tending to lean more towards DuraCoat since I like the semi gloss finish and am too lazy to wetsand rustoleum to a glass finish. Now to choose a color.....

Mike