HybridZ

Weir Bell housing with LT1 engine

Danno74Z

I have a somewhat unique situation and I'm hoping for a little help.

I have a 1995 LT1 engine with the T56 transmission. I have decided that I don't want to use the existing "pull" type clutch. I will be using the Weir bellhousing with the hydraulic through out bearing - I just really like this setup. I know it is a little over-the-top in cost but what the heck. Anyway, I know a few members have used the Weir setup with the T56 and older Gen1 SB engines but HAS anyone used it on the LT1? I know, I know the LT1 is like other Gen1 engines but it does have its quirks. The LT1 used a 153-tooth flywheel or flexplate as a stock piece but people who use the Weir system run the 168-tooth flywheel on their older engines. Why the 168 over the 153? From what I can tell I should be able to use a 153-tooth flywheel (one-piece externally balanced engine type) with the proper clutch package and the Weir system. The main reason I don't want to use the 168 tooth flywheel is I don't know if it will work on the LT1, it weighs about 1/3-1/2 more and I will have to buy a new starter motor (I think).

Any input would be great, especially if you have the Weir system.

Danno74Z