HybridZ

Turbo Meister air box

John Scott

Hanns. Tell me the benefits of running an air box over a carb hat. I used a carb hat because: 1) it came with the " then new" universal ATI chevy kit, 2) carb box would have hit my distributor as float bowls almost made contact. Once the carb choke linkage is sealed bowls are pressurized through the vent tubes. Soon after I installed, ATI developed their pressure release valve seen in my personal gallery,which was placed upstream on a piece of rigid steel tubing. I can see parasitic losses through throttle shafts using carb hat and old carb. Any other advantage to the box? Also off topic, what size fuel lines do you run? Any Idea what -8 can support? John

Hanns. Tell me the benefits of running an air box over a carb hat. what size fuel lines do you run? Any Idea what -8 can support? John

John,

I made the air box because my carb is old and the throttle shafts would have leaked. There are pressure equalization lines I could have installed but that set-up looks too "Mickey Mouse". Also, I spoke with several carb hat forced induction street car users who complained of the constant gasoline smell when fuel is inevitably blown past the carb. The box is simple and will only allow the fuel and pressurized air to go to one destination...the engine. However, the box will probably have more fuel distribution problems because the air does not take a direct path through the carb like a hat.

I have 12AN line from tank to fuel pump. 10 AN line to regulator; 10AN line back to tank and two 8An lines from regulator to carb. The limiting factor in fuel delivery is pump pressure and volume and needle & seat size. You can run a lot of fuel through an 8AN line to make plenty of HP if the system is set up properly. If you want to make the power only a high pressure pump can provide safe and enough high boost through a carb.

Hanns