HybridZ

Gauges with MegaSquirt

Nismo280zEd

I'm using the GM sending units for intake temp and water temp.

Now I would assume there are some gauges I could use that work with the GM sending units. Does anybody know of certain vehicles? or If some generic gauges such as autometer will work? I'm trying to avoid having two sending units in the thermostat housing.

-Ed

I went ahead and bought the autometer guage with sending unit... sorry. I don't know the answer. I'm sure you could rig up some electronics to adjust the resistance out of the gm sensor to match what the guage needs. I would be a tad afraid of the calibration... thus the reason for the other sending unit.

There are PLENTY of holes in the stock thermostat housing - you are just going to plug them if you don't fill them with a sensor?!?

I would think that if you tied the MS temp sensor input in parallel with a gauge, it may throw off the calibration. This is beacuse you will now have the impedance of the gauge in parallel with the sending unit. Depending on what the impedance of the gauge input is, it could throw it off by a lot. The MS input impedance is very high, so it would not have an effect on the gauge, but the MS would be getting incorrect temp data from the sensor.

The Keep your stock 280Z temp sensor and gauge. It's always good to have a second source for engine temperature readings.

my stock Z sender was always inaccurate, and i was going to solve the impedence problem from the gauge by installing a diode in the line to the gauge, that way it could read, but not send anything into the line, I figured that would work. Yes I did post this in the MSEFI forums under sensor and wiring. Nobody has responded yet. Not sure if your post was sarcastic or not Mario.

-Ed