HybridZ

What Type Of Rings Would You Recomend?

racerx260

Unless it is a fresh bore and hone, you don't use total seal rings period, I think even total seals instruction say the same thing. The finish needs to be 500 grit IMO to make any quality ring set seat properly or go by the manufacturer spec. If you are re-ringing a used bore, it really doesn't make alot of difference what rings you put in cause the bore isn't round and the rings are.

I Didn't Mean To Sound Like A Simpleton. I'll Mic The Bores, Check For Wear And Taper And Determine If I Need A Bore Job.the Block Has About 110k On It But It Came From Fla. And The Turbo Was Eat Up By Sand And Had To Be Rebuilt.i Think With The Oil Use I Have The Rings Are Bad From The Sob Who Let Sand In.i Pulled It Apart When I Got It And Could Still See Factory Hone Marks. I Thuought It Was Ok But It Wasn't.i Was Looking For Advice On Replacement Rings Eather Stock Or If I Over Bore It. I Will Hone It To The Specs For The Type Of Ring.molly, Crome And Iron All Like Different Grit Hones.if Anyone Has Had Good Or Bad Info On Type And Brand I Would Like To Hear About It.thanks In Advance.

Well, IMO your wasting your time using a mic to check the bores, they are not round with 110K on them and they will likely have 4 thousands taper.

Total seal rings only work on a new bore and specifically one that was done with deck plates, either cast iron or aluminum as per which head type you use. If it is a thin walled block then block filling is recommended, talk to the top engine builders. They will likely recommend something else for street use or street/strip. The trick is the proper ring end gap and proper installation with the right cylinder wall finish.

It's better to do it right the first time, then to have to redo it a second or third.

That sounds like a lot of taper wear for a japanese block. That is something that can be expected from an older detroit iron, but not so much with the foreign castings. It has been a few years since I rebuilt my turbo motor, but it had 100k on it and whoever I bought the car from wasn't running an air filter. The wear wasnt' bad enough to need boring, just a quick honing. You aren't wasting your time measuring your block, since it takes a grand total of half an hour and will tell you exactly where you are at and what you need to do as far as machining.

-jeremy-