HybridZ

Well.. my 5 speed bowed out tonight...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Me and ON3GO had been busting our butt tonight to swap my reversed springs back around before this meet tommorow night, got the car settled back on the ground, and went out for a drive...

now the prior week i'd "injured" my transmission racing a friends grand national, it wasn't sounding to happy at all, so we knew it wouldn't last long.

thus the objective of tonights frantic spring swap was to allow us to put on some 235/60/15 BFG drag radials to see if the trans/clutch would hold for at least one pass so we knew if we were race worthy tommorow night.

so out we go, we get to the testing area, i come to a stop, pre-rev (still no tach, so solely by sound) slip out the clutch, bog.... $*%#...

stop again... pre-rev a little higher this time (1st time ever launching on these BFG's), rev's are up, clutch out, whoooooaaaammmmmMM!!!!!! BOOOMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! *crackle* *crackle* *crackle* goes 1st gear...

$*%#...

gimped the car home in third gear, all the while hearing the transmission protesting emphatically, with the occasional bit of gear tooth or whatever catching in the movement and causing the car to lurch... we were legitimately expecting the whole trans to sieze and throw me into a skid situation at any moment...

but she made it home, and now resides, with the bum tranny beneath her still... god i need a stronger gearbox, but i'm in no shape to afford anything snazzy... tommorow i'll be throwing in a 77-78 280z 5spd that kracker supplied me with, along with a centerforce stage 1 clutch, so we'll see how that works out, i've been told not to expect that gearbox to live long either...

if anyone has some good suggestions for transmissions other than G-Force T-5's and KA converted transmissions, i'd like to hear it.... cause swapping transmissions will get real old. real fast.

Man I say you take your car and burn it, how many more problems can you have. I've really liked the VG30DETT transmission adapted, seems like its fairly reasonable price for what you're getting. Not to mention if (heaven forbid) you break a VG30DETT with the L28ET you know that there is another transmission readily available. Best of luck,

Tyson