HybridZ

Engine popping during boost!!!

Zraced...

I would try a smaller gap on the plugs. Don't know for sure about these ignitions but it is a well documented on the turbo Fords that once you start pushing up the boost the stock electronics don't have the umph to fire the plugs at the factory gap. Stock Ford boost is 15 but I run 28 with water/alky. Norm

I worked on a freinds 280Z turbo recently that was doing kind of the same thing. At the point when the wastegate opened, the engine would start to buck and fall on it's face. I couldn't figure it out until the head gasket blew and filled a few cylinders with coolent. We had the head resurfaced and changed the head gasket and that fixed the problem with the bucking. I'm guessing coolent was leaking into the cylinder during boost. However, I'm not sure why it would only do it when the wastegate opened. I mean it only did it at the point were we set the wastegate to open. weird.

Well I took it out for another test run and found the problem. The engine is leaning out once I work my way up to 10psi...starts to lean at 5psi it goes from 10AFR to 15 and up once it goes over 15 thats when the problem happens...starved for fuel...I just need to mess around with the settings somemore to get more fuel at the higher RPM's.:burnout: