HybridZ

Can anyone help me with information?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am new here so I hope no one takes offence to this post. I saw this site mentioned on a post at the rx7 message board. I am trying to find out information on swaping a chevy V8 and T56 6 speed into a mazda rx7. Since you are all swapping v8's into your cars maybe you would help rather than call me some of the things the rx7 people did. I found the Grannys Speed Shop web site and from what I can find they are the only ones doing a rx7 kit. I was trying to see how good the kit was and were the instructions well written. I have built many cars in the past but never tried to use an existing wiring harness. Anyone point me to a web site like people here have made for the Z car pertaining to the rx7 ? Just for reference I am planning this swap into an 88 Turbo II. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer.

john..

well, people here certainly won't get mad at you for asking. i'm waiting to see what blkmgk will say, since he owns both a v8z and an rx7... third gen though.

obviously you'd be breaking a lot of new ground. how is the weight balance in your car? how much does the engine/tranny weigh, and how far back does the engine sit? i would imagine the entire rotary engine probably weighs less than a bare iron block, if not an aluminum one...

if you can get the weight balance set properly, it should shut up some of the detractors right quick smile.gif

You will certainly need a lot of information on the electrics of both the donor and recipient vehicles. First thing I would do is purchase a factory manual for the RX7, in addition to having a Haynes manual etc. Also I would measure, measure, measure, and fully document everything. You have great intestinal fortitude for going to where few have ventured before...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the warm reception. This swap has been done before there are a couple of buick GN powered RX7's as well as chevy and ford on grannys site. I was e-mailing back and forth with a guy that autocrosses his 86 RX7 with a ZZ4 crate motor and T-5 trans. He said the swap only added about 125 pounds and he just added a little weight to the rear to get a 50/50 weight distrubution. He is the one that suggested the 6 speed to me since most RX7's have 4.10 ratios in them. But since grannys is the only place I have even been able to find one of these cars on the web my information is limited. thats why I am asking for your help. I look forward to hearing from more of you. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I've got a 3rd Gen RX7 - luv it smile.gif I'm also probably the one that you saw mentioning this site over on the Mazda board....

I've seen this swap done a few times out on the WEB. I used to hear from a guy on the FordNatics mailing list who had done this in an older RX7 as well. I don't recall his name but he posted FREQUENTLY and was from the midwest.

Other than that - keep hunting around. From what I've seen that swap is fairly popular. It's not quite as easy as the Z and migh tnot be quite as balanced (the rotary is VERY light) but it's worth looking into. We'd certainly be willing to help you with stuff that applies from our experience (shrug).

Jim, you're talking about Dave Williams, I'll bet. What did he call it? Tyranosaurus RX-7?

Dave's a really sharp DIY guy that definitely doesn't care if his stuff is unpopular. He used to post on the racefab and defunct hotrod email list of yore also. Last email address I have for him is: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us The address I have for his old web site is NG anymore.

Hey papabear you definately should bookmark this site since it is full of helpful and informative people that will bend over backwards to help. No judgemental people here just free minded speed freaks wink.gif. Good luck in your pursuits.

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate all of your support. And I thank you for your warm welcome. I am going to try making a very detailed web site about this conversion so you can all see what it looks like. Now I am going to go post my fist tech question. Again thanks for all the help.

John..