HybridZ

wanting ideas on new project

hello all. i just bought a 74 260 2 + 2, that i plan on letting the wife drive. this car has been sitting 20 years in a garage, without being run. the previous owner slid into someone on ice, then had someone hit him in the rear. both bumpers were messed up, but he has those brand new and never installed them. the hood is rolled under about 6 inches from the front. i have a car that has no rust, very straight and no dents other than the hood. not sure how bad the engine will be after sitting that long. i want to make a dependable daily driver out of this for the wife and kids. what engine and tranny would you recommend, ballpark how much i am looking at, and would it be possible to either add ac or upgrade to a newer more effecient one? the wife says she wants to stay with a 5 speed, but i wouldn't mind to go to an automatic. i haven't a clue where to start or what to read, but any help would be appreciated. i just want a good handling, somewhat fast, sleeper. thanks for replys.

That engine might suprise you. Mine had been sitting for the last 6 years. I did use fuel stablizer and started the thing one or twice a year during the storage. But after 6 years of sitting it started right up and drove.

Drain and clean the fuel tank, clean out the carbs, change the oil, change the antifreeze and flush the cooling system, pull the plugs and squirt a little Marvel Mystery oil in there. Then turn it over a few times by hand then see if it runs. Take it slow at first because the brakes have undoubtedly glazed over.

A 74 I believe had the crappy flat top SU carbs. If I were you I would consider picking up a complete, used inline 6 from somebody doing a V8 swap. I will bet you can get a complete, running engine for less than $500. If not at least swap out the smog carbs for some earlier SU's.

BTW, I am always amazed at how well Z cars run and how reliable they are. But your car is over 30 years old. There will be intermittent problems that spring up. Make sure the wife has a cell phone, AAA card and stays out of bad neighborhoods at night.

Z's aren't ugly enough to ever really be sleepers... they said 'performance' out of the factory.

That said, 20 years will have you changing rubber parts and redoing the brakes.

My personal approach would be a bit of PB blaster (followed by Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder once the engine turns). Spin the engine without plugs (on a fresh battery) until you have oil pressure for a while, and try the stock setup.

SEARCH the forums here- AC has been discussed extensively, along with most everything else.

And welcome to HybridZ :wink: