HybridZ

R200 Pinion Flange

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

I have the stock R180 in my car now...but a friend gave me an R200 and I will be swapping it out next weekend. The bolt pattern on the pinion flange on the R200 is about 1/4 inch larger than my R180. I've learned that most of the stuff you read on the internet about zcars is pretty accurate, but I read an article from a guy at IZCC that said he bolted his 240Z R180 pinion flange to an R200 LSD so he could use his stock drive shaft. Is this possible??? Are the splines on the pinion shaft the same on the R180 and R200 to accept the earlier model pinion flange?

One more question that I have is that the R200 that I have has been (partly) disassembled. The pinion has not been removed...only the ring gear assembly has been taken out of the carrier. I'm not sure of the technical words for the parts, but the ring gear hasn't been unbolted, just the four bolts that hold the whole gear assembly into the carrier have been removed. So my question here is, if I bolt, and correctly torque the ring gear assembly back into the carrier, would the setup be changed? Would this require professional work at a shop? I know that the pinion and ring gear have to be spaced properly and all, but I don't think that has been affected. So am I correct in saying that all I need to do is set the ring gear assembly into the carrier, then bolt and torge the "main caps" back in?

Thanks,

Lee

I talked to the owner of SMC products about going into the R200 before I took my LSD unit out. I can't remember his name, but he is the author of the Z car Magazine article on diffs and LSDs from about 1996.

Anyway, he worked at Nissan Motorsports for 14 years and did alot of work on the diffs. He assured me that if you take the gear carrier out, take it apart to reshim the clutches, etc., and put it back together with the original ring gear AND the shims in the original locations it will be fine. The shims I'm referring to are the ones on either side of the carrier bearings that position it left/right in the case.

Guest Anonymous

Pete,

Thanks!...that's exactly what I wanted to know. Yeah, I've got the shims you are talking about and I know which side they were on, so I think I will be alright. I was talking to my "ex-racer" Dad and he told me that in the "old days", when they would put a rear end together, they would put a little toothpaste on a toothbrush and brush it on the ring gear teeth and then spin it to see how the gears would mesh together...so I think I will do that just to be on the safe side and to see how they look. Thanks for the info...see ya.

Lee

Guest Anonymous

Mikekz,

Hey...haven't done the swap yet. I'm still waiting on the other parts to get here. But the pinion flange fit the R200 and the dirveshaft flange matches up perfect, so I'm sure that it will work. Sorry that I didn't email you today, but I've been REALLY busy showing the ride to everyone here at my job and my wife's job too. Yep, I actually drove it to work today since the weather was nice and I came in late to avoid traffic. It runs SMOOTH on the highway with the 5-speed. I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I WAS in the fast lane and passing everyone on I-75 and I-85...so you know in Atlanta, I had to be going at least 70-75+ MPH, and it was turning about 1800-1900 RPM and it rode just as smooth as silk. I was VERY pleased with that. I still have a shimmy at about 45MPH, so I'm going to take it back to the tire shop and let them rebalance the front tires. I will probably drive it in again next week, so I will send you an email when I do and we'll get together. Talk to ya soon.

Lee