HybridZ

Choices...Choices...Choices

fbomb

Hello all,

I have been reading the forums compulsively for the last couple months, this site has an absolute wealth of information and seems like a really great community.

I have just purchased a 1972 240z and am planning how I want to restore/hybridize it. I drove a 78' 280 (which I loved) all though high school and college and had to hold everything together on a shoe string. The car was actually stolen and recoverd twice, then passed down to my brother. Now with this 240 I have the money to buy all the cool parts I couldn't afford then. My father is a mechanic and has owned a shop for 20 years so with the expertise of him and his network of friends I should be able to overcome the technical hurdles.

This will be a for fun only car as I have an 2006 M45 as my daily driver. I will probably track the car occasionally but it will be driven primarily on the road. I want it to handle and be fast enough to scare me, I am thinking 350 (reliable) horse power to the wheels should do the trick, but I know that horsepower is like crack, so I will probably want more later. Below I have listed what I am planning now. I know everyone will bash me and tell me to search and read the forums (which I am, and will be doing), but maybe some of you are bored and will offer a few nuggets of wisdom.

Engine:

I am thinking I want to do an RB26DETT swap. I like the skyline motor, as I have heard it is "bullet proof" at my horsepower goals, and I think it lends a little cache down the road should I decide to sell the car and build out another. I have read a lot of posts comparing the RB25 and 26. What I got from this is that the RB25 is a little easier to swap, and that the rb26 has slightly stronger internals, and has a lot more aftermarket parts available. Is this accurate? Also using custom mounts will the stock intake and the exhaust manifold/turbos fit? If I couple this with a transmision from a rb25 will the sheet metal in the tunnel have to be cut out to accomodate the large transmission? Will the shifter be in the correct place, or will some sort of linkage need to be built? Is it worth it to buy the front clip, or is it passable to buy the Long block, transmission, computer and wiring harness?

Suspension/Brakes/diff

I am debating whether to put in the r200 or r230 LSD diff. From the posts I have read it seems that the R200 is easier to put in/match up with other parts, and that the r230 is sturdier but requires somewhat extensive mods to make it fit. Is the extra trouble for the 230 worth it with my goals in mind? If I go with th R200 I am thing the viscous coupling models are better, true?

I want to convert to 5 lugs hubs, and CV joints, as well as disk brakes all around. How difficult is the 5 lug conversion with the 280zx hubs, is it worth it over using one of the adapter based solutions.

For brakes I am deciding between cobbling together a solution from factory parts or buying a pre-built solution such as the wilwood solution from Arizona zcars. In my application will the factory parts solution be good enough to safely control the car.

I have a million more questions, but this is already a novel that falls into several different forum categories, so I will stop here. Now I have posted am no longer just a lurker. It would be cool if anyone who is running the rb motor setup could post a reply (even if you don't feel like answering any of the general/preference questions above), so when I have specific questions I will know who to ask.

I feel priveledged to be amongst your ranks.

Nelo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gr0undz3r0
I am just using my own thread to compile all the info I need in one place...may be usefull to someone else.

And yes' date=' I do talk to myself because I'm insane ;)[/quote']

thanx mate.